Slingerland Modern Combo 75N - for your enjoyment!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our member, lanebune, recently had a post about a Slingerland Modern Combo 75N kit. Through the support of many here, he did purchase that kit! A really nice Light Blue Pearl wrap. While it still needs a few parts to make it complete, it will be well worth it! Just a really cool kit that you don't see often. A practical kit? Well, maybe not for many of us, but a fairly rare kit that is fun to play and might be just right for that certain gig!

I looked through my hundreds of Slingerland pictures and actually came up with 6 Combo kits, each wrapped in a different color. The colors include Green Satin Flame, Blue Agate Pearl, Blue Ripple Pearl, Oyster Pink Pearl, Sparkling Purple Pearl and Red Satin Flame. I hope you enjoy them!

-Mark

Attachments

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice kits and interesting sizes. I suppose that the ability to stack the toms inside each other would have been appealing to some drummers for easy transport.
I wonder why the catalogs showed it set up with the larger mounted tom on the left of the player, and the smaller on the right.
The same photo was used in every catalog it appeared in, but still, why was it the only kit set up that way?

Attachments

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark, Each one of those sets blows my mind! I'm enjoying mine, but still looking for the bass plate. Drumphils came through with a beautiful double tom holder and you've encouraged me with maybe being able to get the bass plate made. I can't be more appreciative of this forum.

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also wondered why the catalog kit has the tom sizes backward! Could it be it was just a mistake and the photographer didn't want to take the time to do it again?

Lane! Your drums are looking good! I'll find out about the plate on Tuesday. I'll take the attached picture with me so we can figure out the size.

Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would think that the art director just thought it looked better with the larger tom to the left. They would look at it with a far more critical eye for art than we would as drummers.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
retrosonic said:
I would think that the art director just thought it looked better with the larger tom to the left. They would look at it with a far more critical eye for art than we would as drummers.
You may have a point there!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cowbell mount was standard. Also, the double tom mount came with a funky rubber (usually missing) tube that pushed up against the toms so they wouldn't sag.

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up an early 70s Modern Combo in WMP. Years ago someone listed a pink oyster set on ebay, but had the toms in a separate auction from the kick. I managed to win the kick but was outbid on the toms, I tried to track them down but was never able to. I've been fascinated with these kits ever since, I love the telescoping idea. Like most I'm not normally keen on concert toms, but the idea of a compact "nesting" kit back then is just so cool to me. They sound really great too and a blast to play!

Attachments

Kstone

Reaction score
Submitted for your approval, a Gold Satin Flame Modern Combo, date stamped 1967, that I purchased 5 years ago from the original owner. I refer to it as my "Gold Satin Flamethrower". I've since taken the bold step of augmenting it with a matching 12" Gretsch tom and Gold Astro Ludwig Standard snare. Love my tubs!

Attachments

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Submitted for your approval, a Gold Satin Flame Modern Combo, date stamped 1967, that I purchased 5 years ago from the original owner. I refer to it as my "Gold Satin Flamethrower". I've since taken the bold step of augmenting it with a matching 12" Gretsch tom and Gold Astro Ludwig Standard snare. Love my tubs!
Love the wrap and looks great with the snare.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I recently picked up an early 70s Modern Combo in WMP. Years ago someone listed a pink oyster set on ebay, but had the toms in a separate auction from the kick. I managed to win the kick but was outbid on the toms, I tried to track them down but was never able to. I've been fascinated with these kits ever since, I love the telescoping idea. Like most I'm not normally keen on concert toms, but the idea of a compact "nesting" kit back then is just so cool to me. They sound really great too and a blast to play!
It looks like there might be room to nest the snare in there with the toms.