Slingerland Niles Bop Kit

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a long time for a Slingerland bop kit.
Considering buying this silver sparkle kit for $2,200. I’d like to get it for less of course.
I sold my black sparkle one a while ago for $1,650, and it was a bit rougher shape than this one.
Owner states rims are new Jack Lawton ones and rods are not original
No badges on toms. It almost looks too good in terms of wrap ?
Any thoughts on how to proceed .
Thanks

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Maybe I've fallen behind the times, but $2200 seems like a lot to pay for vintage Slingy.
I thought Slingerland's were the best deal on the vintage market?
...of course its "bop kit" sizes and looks in real good shape, so that would make it a wanted item.
Looks like no snare drum, either, right?

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit high in my opinion at $2200 especially with no snare and non original hoops / T rods . The wrap looks good/correct though the grommet looks to have been removed . And that is correct with no badge on the toms as only a bass and snare would have had badges .

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've fallen behind the times, but $2200 seems like a lot to pay for vintage Slingy.
I thought Slingerland's were the best deal on the vintage market?
...of course its "bop kit" sizes and looks in real good shape, so that would make it a wanted item.
Looks like no snare drum, either, right?
You are correct. It should be a lower price in theory.
It’s a question of negotiation

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit high in my opinion at $2200 especially with no snare and non original hoops / T rods . The wrap looks good/correct though the grommet looks to have been removed . And that is correct with no badge on the toms as only a bass and snare would have had badges .
I’m suspicious about the grommet as well. .??
He has the original warped and split hoop, and t rods to include

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check the bearing edges, too. New hoops could mean missing hoops, which could mean years of unprotected bottom edges...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just checked this kit out on Reverb... HERE

The only thing that increases the value is the 18" bass drum. The chromed Setomatic holder is not original to the kit! Setomatic first appeared around 1968, but were the aluminum version for at least a year. I can't see any additional holes on the bass drum that suggests that a rail mount was used. Maybe a clamp-on holder? The 12" tom would have had a standard diamond plate, but they used the same hole spacing as the Setomatic mounts. If you really wanted to install a tom holder, I would have gone with the Maxwell rail, setup for use with the long rod and tongue to mate with the original diamond plate on the the 12" tom. Yes, the badge on the bass drum does appear to have been tampered with.

I see that the price has been lowered to $1980. I just don't see any value over $1200 for these drums...and even that's a bit high!

-Mark

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Price is high for Slingerland- a Natural Maple 18/12/14 Slingerland sold for $1595 a few weeks ago and that was on the high side for Slingerland.

Something makes me feel like these could possibly be a rewrap. That really chewed up grommet is a red flag as well as the Set-o-Matic that didn't come out until 1969 in chrome. I would pass on these.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love Slingys and have a 12/14/18 in blue satin flame from '66 with a 2 point rail mount. Here, the set o matic is definetly not a '65 thing, but the wrap looks evenly aged. The bass grommet does look funky, too. I'd want to see more pics of the bearing edges and wrap edge before spending that much, which is definitely on the high end....finding a matching snare should be easy, though.

I wouldn't worry about unoriginal parts because it sounds like the buyer will get them with the kit. You can find one orig. hoop somewhere, too. But I get it - for that price, it should all be original......hmmmm.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To add to the issue of price, here are pictures of a BOP kit that sold on eBay back in January, 2008...for $1900!! It was re-wrapped in Delmar Green Sparkle (not even a glass glitter!), had a chrome Setomatic installed, along with new 10-ply bass drum hoops and mid-70's bass drum T-rods. Yes, it was done well. Still, even with all the modifications, it still sold for quite a bit of money!

-Mark

Attachments

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your observations
I agree with everything said

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok . . . I'll be right upfront and say that I'm simply AMAZED that your last kit sold for $1600, and even more gob-smacked that somebody would ask $2200 for another bop kit - and that you are considering paying that. I'm not saying that either of you is crazy, just that I'm bewildered.

With very nice full-sized Slingerland kits selling in the sub-$600 price range, does that bop-sized bass drum really justify such a price? I'm just asking. Because that bass drum is the only element in this kit that separates it from a run-of-the-mill Slingerland kit. Sure, the bop kits are much more rare than typical kits, but does that justify a 400% price increase?

The only other Slingerland bop kit that I was able to locate in "sold" ebay auctions was a five-piece Artist Series kit with snare drum and cases. It sold for under $1300.

I must be missing something.

GeeDeeEmm

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The answer will probably be..."18-inch bass drums are rare and sought after". Still, that bass drum, in itself, doesn't justify the asking price. Condition plays a big part!

-Mark
If it was in better shape and all our suspicions were addressed I’d be interested at 1500 or so
Not going forward
Thnx

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok . . . I'll be right upfront and say that I'm simply AMAZED that your last kit sold for $1600, and even more gob-smacked that somebody would ask $2200 for another bop kit - and that you are considering paying that. I'm not saying that either of you is crazy, just that I'm bewildered.

With very nice full-sized Slingerland kits selling in the sub-$600 price range, does that bop-sized bass drum really justify such a price? I'm just asking. Because that bass drum is the only element in this kit that separates it from a run-of-the-mill Slingerland kit. Sure, the bop kits are much more rare than typical kits, but does that justify a 400% price increase?

The only other Slingerland bop kit that I was able to locate in "sold" ebay auctions was a five-piece Artist Series kit with snare drum and cases. It sold for under $1300.

I must be missing something.

GeeDeeEmm
Was it 60’s 3 ply ?

I see your points of course but mine was very sweet w a matching one ply Artist. These only come up occasionally and I’m ready if it does
Every other brand is more readily available.. I agree run of the mill Slingerland kits are low on the scale
There are interested buyers for a bop kit
I’m again one of them
I just have a soft spot

Latest posts