Slingerland Niles Bop Kit

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok . . . I'll be right upfront and say that I'm simply AMAZED that your last kit sold for $1600, and even more gob-smacked that somebody would ask $2200 for another bop kit - and that you are considering paying that. I'm not saying that either of you is crazy, just that I'm bewildered.

With very nice full-sized Slingerland kits selling in the sub-$600 price range, does that bop-sized bass drum really justify such a price? I'm just asking. Because that bass drum is the only element in this kit that separates it from a run-of-the-mill Slingerland kit. Sure, the bop kits are much more rare than typical kits, but does that justify a 400% price increase?

The only other Slingerland bop kit that I was able to locate in "sold" ebay auctions was a five-piece Artist Series kit with snare drum and cases. It sold for under $1300.

I must be missing something.

GeeDeeEmm
Hi GeeDeeEmm!

Concerning the 5pc Slingerland BOP kit that sold for "only" $1300, again, had to do with condition. I'll include some pictures. I exchanged quite a few messages with the seller, who was offering them on consignment for the owner. The drums were in incredibly clean condition. The highlights of the kit were the 14x18 bass drum and the 4x14 "Buddy Rich-style" snare drum, complete with Zoomatic strainer. Add in the beautiful, and original, "large-chip" Black Diamond Pearl and this was a really stunning kit! The drums were from the HSS era, around 1994, and made in Taiwan. The shells were 5-ply maple and mahogany, with the maple being North American (Canadian). These are really well-made drums. I've got a 4pc HSS Artist Custom from the same period, wrapped in an American Flag motif. You may have seen it here on the forum.

While definitely not on the same par as a Niles-built BOP kit, this Artist Custom was in fantastic shape and the selling price was justified! I just can't say the same thing for the Reverb kit!

-Mark

Attachments

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Slingys and have a 12/14/18 in blue satin flame from '66 with a 2 point rail mount. Here, the set o matic is definetly not a '65 thing, but the wrap looks evenly aged. The bass grommet does look funky, too. I'd want to see more pics of the bearing edges and wrap edge before spending that much, which is definitely on the high end....finding a matching snare should be easy, though.

I wouldn't worry about unoriginal parts because it sounds like the buyer will get them with the kit. You can find one orig. hoop somewhere, too. But I get it - for that price, it should all be original......hmmmm.
I’d love to see a pic of your blue satin flame kit ???

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Eric Binder had a three piece natural maple he was selling for $1450. I don’t know whether or sold or anything specific about it.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Eric Binder had a three piece natural maple he was selling for $1450. I don’t know whether or sold or anything specific about it.
Thnx for the lead
I’ll try to get in touch w him

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For reference, I sold this "players" bop kit earlier this year for $1150, 3 pieces with the double tom arm. It had no mods, but was pieced together from different eras, had some cosmetic issues and the bass drum had some significant fade. Took me almost a year I think to sell it, although I wasn't very aggressive with it.

I spent a good 5+ years actively hunting for a clean Slingerland bop set. Slingerland 18s are as uncommon as the other big makers, and a good amount of them came from modern combo outfits with nesting concert toms, so finding a complete "jet" can be quite a task. They pop up every now and then, but rarely a complete set in original condition, a couple a year at best. That being said, I don't think $1800-$2000 is out of line for an original condition, born together jet w/matching snare. Original condition is key though at that price, which the reverb kit is not.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The bass drum on that set was likely from a Jet outfit... there don't appear to be any holes from a rail consolette, so either it had one and the drum was refinished (the available silver sparkle is a real close match to the original) or it was indeed a drum that had no mount. Either way, the mount on the bass was added later, is not era correct and required an extra 4 small holes and one large one on the bass drum as well as the badge being moved.
The tom mount required at least one extra if it originally had the rail or 5 holes if it was from a Jet outfit.
My feelling is, for $2K, you should be able to get an all original bop set, thought it may take some time to find.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my 18, 12, 14, with 6 lug student model snare all date stamped Sept. 1963. According to Rob Cook's Slingerland book this was originally named New Jazz Outfit #14. In 1965 it changed to a Frank Capp Outfit. I know I wouldn't sell this for less than 1500.00, if at all.

The Jet outfit, I think had metal 20" bass hoops, again according to Rob's book.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is my 18, 12, 14, with 6 lug student model snare all date stamped Sept. 1963. According to Rob Cook's Slingerland book this was originally named New Jazz Outfit #14. In 1965 it changed to a Frank Capp Outfit. I know I wouldn't sell this for less than 1500.00, if at all.

The Jet outfit, I think had metal 20" bass hoops, again according to Rob's book.
Slingerland called your set the Modern Jazz Outfit. The Frank Capp outfit was a Leedy (Slingerland made). A lot of folks ditched the metal rims on the Jet outfits as you had to use a special Slingerland pedal. As mentioned earlier there are a lot of Slingerland 18s that started their life in the Modern Combo outfit which had single head toms. Folks would get those basses to match up with other normal toms

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I sold my Ludwig jazzette for $1700. It took a while to sell too and I think a k=jazzette should be worth more than the Slingerland. Mine was in great shape too. I was sad to see it go but it was not being played much and I needed the cash at the time.

Attachments

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The New Jazz outfit was also a Leedy, not a Slingerland setup.

Shockingly, Leedy seems to have been the first to offer a catalog 18/12/14 setup.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For reference, I sold this "players" bop kit earlier this year for $1150, 3 pieces with the double tom arm. It had no mods, but was pieced together from different eras, had some cosmetic issues and the bass drum had some significant fade. Took me almost a year I think to sell it, although I wasn't very aggressive with it.

I spent a good 5+ years actively hunting for a clean Slingerland bop set. Slingerland 18s are as uncommon as the other big makers, and a good amount of them came from modern combo outfits with nesting concert toms, so finding a complete "jet" can be quite a task. They pop up every now and then, but rarely a complete set in original condition, a couple a year at best. That being said, I don't think $1800-$2000 is out of line for an original condition, born together jet w/matching snare. Original condition is key though at that price, which the reverb kit is not.
I agree w everything you said
Thnx

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Would you sell it for $1600 ?

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The New Jazz outfit was also a Leedy, not a Slingerland setup.

Shockingly, Leedy seems to have been the first to offer a catalog 18/12/14 setup.
You and Rich K are absolutely correct. My old Slingerland book is so dilapidated and piced back together, I totally missed the Leedy section.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry I’m a bit confused
Does it have Slingerland Niles Badges ?
Is it in fact Leedy
It’s pretty whatever it is

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry I’m a bit confused
Does it have Slingerland Niles Badges ?
Is it in fact Leedy
It’s pretty whatever it is
It's a slingerland with a badge just on the bass and snare, not the 12" and 14" .

I do have a Leedy 1965 20, 12, 14 with matching 6 lug snare in white Marine Pearl. What's strange is the only drum without a Leedy blue badge is the 12"

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a slingerland with a badge just on the bass and snare, not the 12" and 14" .

I do have a Leedy 1965 20, 12, 14 with matching 6 lug snare in white Marine Pearl. What's strange is the only drum without a Leedy blue badge is the 12"
Can I get more details if you are in fact considering selling
Badge, and serial #’s interior pics,edges etc,etc
Thnx
Steve

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I also had this drum set that I sold a few years ago. I'm confused as to what this one was called?? It had a Slingerland Niles badge.

It also had the 18" bass

18, 10, 13, 16

Attachments

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can I get more details if you are in fact considering selling
Badge, and serial #’s interior pics,edges etc,etc
Thnx
Steve
I hadn't considered it until this thread. Let me think about it and I'll PM you.

Latest posts