Slingerland (not mine) Avante kit on eBay

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read the text and the tom sizes are listed correctly. Not quite sure why this seller always feels the need to let us know the depth measurement! In other words, they will say 8 (deep) x 12, 9 (deep) x 13, 10 (deep) x 14, etc. I guess there are drummers out there who don't know which is which?!!!

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
No they're not listed correctly ; unless they are . he has in his text:
8 (deep) x 12, 9 (deep) x 14, and 10 (Deep) x 14 rack toms,

8x12
9x14
10x14

Almost looks like that just wondered if anyone can see the 9x13 (that would be catalog stock idrum) in the pictures

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I wonder what the long term affect was of having three large heavy toms mounted on a bass drum was ? Would 3-ply Avanti's eventually slightly squish out of round, if left set up for long periods?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No they're not listed correctly ; unless they are . he has in his text:
8 (deep) x 12, 9 (deep) x 14, and 10 (Deep) x 14 rack toms,

8x12
9x14
10x14

Almost looks like that just wondered if anyone can see the 9x13 (that would be catalog stock idrum) in the pictures
You are absolutely correct and I obviously missed that! Thanks for pointing this out!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The pearl on that kit is beautiful.
Yes it is! Slingerland's BDP was really nice. The 60's version was darker and just gorgeous! I've never been a fan of BDP, but would happily take a 60's or early 70's Slingerland kit in their large-chip BDP!

-Mark

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder what the long term affect was of having three large heavy toms mounted on a bass drum was ? Would 3-ply Avanti's eventually slightly squish out of round, if left set up for long periods?
I picked up a used set of Avante's a few years ago and the bass drum had a huge crack right under the tom mounts on the inside of the shell. I kept the set for a few years because I had always wanted a set of those, but the crack just kept getting worse so I ended up trading them in towards another set.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I always thought it was sketchy for Slingerland to have to mount two tom-mounts - a single and a double setomatic - in order to do this. Two sets of five holes, in the same plane, doubtless weakens things. Rogers made a special triple mount for their "Londoner Six". Slingerland should have made a special triple set-o-matic mount - akin to their later "super-setomatic" mount - to do this.

This kit would be perfect as a 22/16/13 alone, especially since the kick has double spurs, like the Buddy Rich Model! Just stick a flower in the unused base plate hole!:toothy4:

Latest posts