Slingerland project kit completion!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Completing this Slingerland kit was a fun project with a few challenges and took about a year and a half. The late 1960s 20” kick and sweet Hollywood Ace snare came to me together from a wonderful family and were in great shape. I obtained the early 1970s 13” mounted tom from a good dude on FB Marketplace. It was also in stellar shape and needed nothing.

I found the 16” floor tom (also early 1970s) in Wisconsin and it needed some love. I stripped off the original wrap, repaired the reinforcement hoops, smoothed the bearing edges, and rewrapped it to match the rest of the kit. All hardware components on each drum are original.

Played it out this past Saturday night - it’s a joy to continue this instrument’s life and to be a part of its history. Thanks for reading - very pleased to complete this!

DB4CA2AE-AE1E-4E48-9DD9-F6412EDA32D3.jpeg
79E0062C-2352-4445-AD04-B4863DDEB796.jpeg
24DA12A6-7AB9-4D12-B20E-1253AE64315A.jpeg
02D63E5F-8F92-42EB-824D-2C5A68D512F7.jpeg
590A392A-3029-4E6C-9A6E-52AD3277F0B2.jpeg
0A54FF91-5387-46CF-8716-EEFB1A670D0D.jpeg
72C25F67-FA3C-45E9-B7D7-25C93CA23349.jpeg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Great job! I remember seeing that floor tom on MGR’s site and being tempted to pick it up, but didn’t really need it.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great job! I remember seeing that floor tom on MGR’s site and being tempted to pick it up, but didn’t really need it.
Thanks! The price was right, even with shipping. I was holding out for a WMP but choices were limited and prices were high. Plus the rewrap process (my first) was a fun challenge. Cheers!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! The price was right, even with shipping. I was holding out for a WMP but choices were limited and prices were high. Plus the rewrap process (my first) was a fun challenge. Cheers!
I’m soon embarking on my first rewrap as well. Any tips you want to share that you learned along the way? Feel free to PM if you like.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m soon embarking on my first rewrap as well. Any tips you want to share that you learned along the way? Feel free to PM if you like.
I got my wrap from Precision Drum and he sent good instructions. Between that and youtube, I had everything I needed. Make sure to work the grommet from the inside of the shell to reuse it and protect the badge. Go slow with the wrap - once it sticks, it’s stuck. Mine is just a hair uneven but the hoop completely hides it. Also, be sure your seam on the new wrap is under the lugs. It was a fun project.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I got my wrap from Precision Drum and he sent good instructions. Between that and youtube, I had everything I needed. Make sure to work the grommet from the inside of the shell to reuse it and protect the badge. Go slow with the wrap - once it sticks, it’s stuck. Mine is just a hair uneven but the hoop completely hides it. Also, be sure your seam on the new wrap is under the lugs. It was a fun project.
Awesome! If you had a favorite tutorial video on YouTube please send me a link!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great job! I too own an orphand rewrapped in wmp slingerland kit! The odds?

Your drums look great and I am sure they sound great too. I plan on eventually bringing my kit out on a rock gig. Thanks for the inspiration.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great job! I too own an orphand rewrapped in wmp slingerland kit! The odds?

Your drums look great and I am sure they sound great too. I plan on eventually bringing my kit out on a rock gig. Thanks for the inspiration.
Awesome! These old Slingerlands definitely have a wonderful, unique voice and it’ll be fun to get more familiar with them. Cheers and enjoy!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My very first kit was a wmp Slingerland from the late 50s. Very nice job on yours, and nice sizes.

My Gretsch gigging set is a similar situation, mostly bought as singles and all rewrapped, but not by me. Been playing them for over 20 years now. I hope yours last as long as you want them to.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome! If you had a favorite tutorial video on YouTube please send me a link!
So this guy has a 6-part series on the entire process. Each video is roughly 15 minutes long. He is EXTREMELY detailed, right down to the tools he uses and where he bought them. I found it to be over the top in terms of length and detail, but several of his videos did answer some questions I had, and he's clearly skilled in a variety of areas. I found the series helpful and I'm sure you'll get something out of it - just pack a lunch before watching.