DFO Master
Reaction score
could put it up on blocks and set it out in the b̶a̶c̶k̶ front yard

Come on that was a 3$ joke.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
To me that looks more like a maple outer ply. Could those be Walnut stain?

I thought the mahogany had actual mahogany wood as the outer ply not mahogany colored stain on maple.

Looking at a factory painted Slingerland of my own there is no extra finish ply there instead of wrap, they just made the shell with a maple outer ply (still only 3 plies) and painted that.

Earlier painted Slingerland drums have the oversized problem if rewrapped because of the way they were made (Ludwigs have the same issue) but I think by the 70's that may no longer have been the case. I know it wasn't for Ludwig after a certain point (all shells the same size) not as certain on Slingerland but it wouldn't be hard to determine by looking at the clearance between the flesh hoop and the shell (and there's always Remo Classic Fit heads too).

Regardless there's a lot of potential there. Hit those scratched areas with some "Old English" and they may end up looking fine, at least for the short term.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Could always grind the outer ply off.,.
1/2 a day with an orbital grinder..

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My two cents, those shells will no doubt sound great but Slingerland hardware was terrible. I wouldn’t put much into them, maybe flip them as is.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My two cents, those shells will no doubt sound great but Slingerland hardware was terrible. I wouldn’t put much into them, maybe flip them as is.
I've never had a problem with my slingerland (or gretsch) hardware. I don't think refinishing is going to improve the value , or sound, of those drums. Those will be a nice set for someone.

sksmith-1

Reaction score
I've noticed that the "Slingerland terrible hardware" thing really has come up recently.
You have to remember, the floor tom leg & bass spur mounts haven't been made since about 1979 (40 years ago!), when they switched to Magnum hardware. I've had several 60' - 70's Slingerland's and never had any problem with the mounts stripping. The newest ones are 40 years old, so they've had a lot of use. And replacements are available.
The single Set-O-Matic was a great mount. The double, not quite, due to positioning limits, until they issued the Super Set-O-Matic. But that was one ugly mount! It did address the positioning issues though.
Steve

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had three Slingerland kits ranging from 1962-66
Each one had some issue with a spur mount or floor tom leg mount!
Great chrome on the lugs and hoops.

sksmith-1

Reaction score
Pedro, I was born in 1965 and have had a few issues as well. Doesn't mean I'm terrible! LOL
That's a lot of years of use, unless that 1962 set was put in a closet in 1962 and never played.
Now the push button leg mounts, not such a good idea...... But it didn't last long either.
For the record, I've owned approx. 10 early 60's thru mid 70's Slingerland sets. The first one I bought was 1962 BDP also, if I recall, and I bought it in 1989. The latest is a mid 70's COW 80N, like the one Mike is posting about. I have never had one stripped bass spur mount, floor tom mount, or cymbal arm mount.
I guess I've been lucky.
Steve

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If that 80N kit was mine (that's only a dream), I would remove and polish all the hardware, hit the scratches with a mahogany repair pen, do a good polish job, then reinstall the hardware and missing bits and play it like it is. (Slingerland hardware is good stuff with very deep chrome. Those fittings should polish up like new.) All of the missing parts are available and not expensive.

Thereafter, if the mood ever hit me, I would either redo the lacquer finish or recover them in white marine pearl and enjoy a beautiful kit.

How did you come across the set, by the way?

GeeDeeEmm

sksmith-1

Reaction score
I bought this one for $600 a few months ago.
The chrome has some battle damage, but overall it's in pretty good shape. I haven't had a chance to take them apart and do a good polishing on them yet. I checked the date on the serial numbers after I got them, I think they were 1973 3-ply shells.
Steve

Attachments

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Try a little wood oil before you reach for the wood-stain marker-pen. That might not be a mahogany stain - that might be real mahogany veneer. Oil made my scratches disappear on my 1980 rosewood N80.

Latest posts