Slingerland Radio King COB Snare Drum

howiedrum

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum and excited to spend some time here. I may be able to acquire this Radio King snare but I'm not sure what to offer or what it is worth. Can anyone please tell me the year of this drum? It is in very good condition. Thank you!

Attachments

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the model. Not a Radioking though. Non original hoops on it also.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As mentioned above, it is a Gene Krupa Sound King snare drum. The badge appears to be a 5-digit, 34xxx. If this is correct, the drum is around a 1971. The shell, while still COB, now has sharp 45-degree edges and cup washers to hold the lugs. Also, as noted, the hoops are the more modern Sticksavers and not original. I have a 1970 Slingerland kit with a Sound King snare, serial number 29xxx. My shell is the original style, with round-over edges and aluminum lug backing plates. I've had more than a dozen of these snare drums over the years and all have been great sounding drums. The newer style shells just aren't the same drum anymore.

Given that the hoops and tension rods are not original, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this drum. There are just too many fine examples to be had on eBay. The Sound King was Slingerland's "bread and butter" snare drum and the standard snare with the majority of their kits. As such, there are thousands of them out there!

Attached are pictures of one of many SK snare drums I had. This one was a 1970, complete with the round-over edges and aluminum lug backing plates.

-Mark

Attachments

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
1970s Sound King model with Zoomatic strainer and rimshot-style copy hoops as stated above, wires aren't Slingerland.
Plentiful indeed but it's still a chromed brass shell.
Value around 100.

howiedrum

Reaction score
As mentioned above, it is a Gene Krupa Sound King snare drum. The badge appears to be a 5-digit, 34xxx. If this is correct, the drum is around a 1971. The shell, while still COB, now has sharp 45-degree edges and cup washers to hold the lugs. Also, as noted, the hoops are the more modern Sticksavers and not original. I have a 1970 Slingerland kit with a Sound King snare, serial number 29xxx. My shell is the original style, with round-over edges and aluminum lug backing plates. I've had more than a dozen of these snare drums over the years and all have been great sounding drums. The newer style shells just aren't the same drum anymore.

Given that the hoops and tension rods are not original, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this drum. There are just too many fine examples to be had on eBay. The Sound King was Slingerland's "bread and butter" snare drum and the standard snare with the majority of their kits. As such, there are thousands of them out there!

Attached are pictures of one of many SK snare drums I had. This one was a 1970, complete with the round-over edges and aluminum lug backing plates.

-Mark
Thanks Mark for all that information.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1970s Sound King model with Zoomatic strainer and rimshot-style copy hoops as stated above, wires aren't Slingerland.
Plentiful indeed but it's still a chromed brass shell.
Value around 100.
Yes, it's still a nice vintage chromed brass shell snare drum! Another thing to keep in mind with all Zoomatic strainers is that they are finicky. The majority have been abused over the years, from simply not understanding how they work. I won't go into the mechanics here. The other issue, and an important one, is the gum rubber washer that was inserted between the knob and "tombstone" body. That rubber washer dries up, shrinks and cracks over the decades. Many just crumble away, leaving lots of play between the knob and body. Many have no clue about this rubber washer!

My most recent SK acquisition is a pristine, first generation, example. These early 60's SK drums had a smooth shell. The etched 3 lines came out around 1965. The Zoomatic was not only missing the rubber washer, but the body, and knob, are "pimpled". During my inspection, the Zoomatic knob actually popped right off! This is the other issue with these strainers!

I completely disassembled the strainer and you can see all the parts in the picture. What's cool is that inside cone washer, which is a solid machined piece! To save money, Slingerland changed this to a regular round thin washer.

See that black washer? It's a fiber washer I had on hand, which was used to take up the slack from the missing rubber washer. My plan was to use JB Weld epoxy to reattach the knob. Unfortunately, it didn't hold. Bummer! I had to think outside the box and eventually drilled a hole through the knob and tapped it for a 6-32 allen-head screw. It worked perfectly and won't come off!

I apologize for the long diatribe on all this. My point is that if you're not familiar with the Zoomatic, and how it works, you need to make sure it is in near perfect condition. If not, you'll need to have the skills to repair it!

-Mark

Attachments

howiedrum

Reaction score
No apology needed. I love this stuff. Thanks for the photos. I did hear about the strainer issues but your thorough explanation really shed some light on this.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some beautiful snares and some good information regarding the Zoomatic! I haven't had a Zoomatic apart for many, many years now.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts