Slingerland radio king snare break

Reaction score
Hey all,
i love my snare, i've only had since this last summer. the metal strap finally snapped on one side....i don't think its a complicated fix....but something an ole' timer would've been more accustomed to doing than me til i mess with a rivet gun or whatever.
i just adapted and used a standard snare strand....it sounds good....however...the original is longer and i do think sounded best. i also replaced the top head with a Buddy rich head, (coated)
and the bottom snare head I believe is an Aquarian super snare....instead of string I just used some wire I had on hand...till I decide to do what's next....the old timer that had this before me....had broke the metal strap a bit(it was cracked, so he just tied a leather strap around it after he wrapped it throught copper wires on the throw....weird , but it worked.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen some repair this with a screw and bolt through the hole in the tab. Getting a replacement piece of thin sheet metal/aluminum stock is not hard.

On my RK the last old timer drilled out end holes in the tabs and just ran string through those holes. The string is far more sensitive/adjustable than a piece of metal.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tama cw!
I do think the tension allowed by the metal straps does add to the sound.
I've had them both ways and didn't find any sound advantage with the metal tab snare wires. But certainly they seem "harder" to find tune. Basically they are either "just right" or "not right." At least from what I've found.
But maybe I missed something. I'll pay more attention next time I play around with mine.

GlassGlitter

Reaction score
Hey all,
i love my snare, i've only had since this last summer. the metal strap finally snapped on one side....i don't think its a complicated fix....but something an ole' timer would've been more accustomed to doing than me til i mess with a rivet gun or whatever.
i just adapted and used a standard snare strand....it sounds good....however...the original is longer and i do think sounded best. i also replaced the top head with a Buddy rich head, (coated)
and the bottom snare head I believe is an Aquarian super snare....instead of string I just used some wire I had on hand...till I decide to do what's next....the old timer that had this before me....had broke the metal strap a bit(it was cracked, so he just tied a leather strap around it after he wrapped it throught copper wires on the throw....weird , but it worked.
Awesome Drum!!
Sounds like you might be changing too many variables at one time with the snare metal breakage change ,and now two different/new heads. Might need to put the old heads back on and and experiment with just one change at a time so you know what is actually changing the sound you liked so much before :) maybe the broken snare thing you fixed isn't even noticeable with the old heads on it.
Sometimes replacing the old heads with exact new ones can even be a weird transition.

Reaction score
You maybe right dude....the batter head that was on there was a coated (single ply ) Ludwig head...i.stole from another snare...(.the original head the drum came.was torn)had a.good sound. A guitarist friend and i just joked bout how 'finding the right sound is sometimes elusive..'
But im up for try and it should be fun.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 5x14 62' Capri Pearl RK and it has the original metal tab snares. I bought a replacement RK snare set with the metal tabs. I don't remember if it was Puresound or Gibraltar. My throw off arm was missing so I got a replacement throw off.

EddieR

Reaction score
Puresound used to make replacement Radio King strap style snares. But someone had said they discontinued that product. I also know that people have had good luck with the older fully extended (Bridge Type) Pearl free floating snares. They are somewhere around 15" long and extend past the bearing edges of the drum, like the original. The pearl units attaches with string, which should mount easily to your version of the Slingerland three point throwoff and butt. Good luck, cause that's a really great snare drum and it should get the best you can give it.

EddieR

Reaction score
Pearl model number for extended snares unit is:

S-025

Use real snare cord to attach it.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puresound used to make replacement Radio King strap style snares. But someone had said they discontinued that product. I also know that people have had good luck with the older fully extended (Bridge Type) Pearl free floating snares. They are somewhere around 15" long and extend past the bearing edges of the drum, like the original. The pearl units attaches with string, which should mount easily to your version of the Slingerland three point throwoff and butt. Good luck, cause that's a really great snare drum and it should get the best you can give it.
Those pure sound ones were not so great. You had to bend and put the hole in the straps, which was a pia, and they didn't sound especially good.