Slingerland Radio King Snare Clamshell Strainer Question

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have recently restored a Slingerland Radio King snare with a clamshell strainer. It's my first experience with this type of snare mechanism. I got Puresound replacement wires, and installed them, and the drum sounds great! But, the problem is that the wires basically never disengage. No matter how loose I have the tension screw on the strainer, the wires are always on; they just go from tight to a little looser, but never fully off the snare side head. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Any tips much appreciated.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe this is a common problem. All or most of mine are that way. I would guess not designed that way but ware and tear they become that way. As you say tho sounds great as long as you do not want to throw off the snares.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you have the snare strings pulled too tight, making it impossible for the snares to drop away from the head. I've run into this before when installing new snare wires. Just let them drop a little on each side - on the strainer and on the butt.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a pain, but you need to tinker with it. I had the same issue.........you just need to get it dialed in.......it's a weird throw off. I agree with GDM.....

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you have the snare strings pulled too tight, making it impossible for the snares to drop away from the head. I've run into this before when installing new snare wires. Just let them drop a little on each side - on the strainer and on the butt.

GeeDeeEmm
There are no strings. The snare wires screw directly into the mechanism.

gkrk

Reaction score
You can set the basic tension of the throw-off and butt from inside the drum. I've never found it all that easy to do.

Jeremy

allandwf

Reaction score
There is a little spacer thing that fits the hole in the snares, then the screw goes in, at least there is on mine. Hope that makes sense. Maybe missing?

Reactions: JDZ

gkrk

Reaction score
There is a little spacer thing that fits the hole in the snares, then the screw goes in, at least there is on mine. Hope that makes sense. Maybe missing?
Any chance you could post a picture of the "little spacer thing" and how it fits in the holes on the snares? My 1953 (more or less) has a piece of felt between the strainer part and the snare ends where the screw goes through, providing a bit of a lift that helps somewhat.

allandwf

Reaction score
Any chance you could post a picture of the "little spacer thing" and how it fits in the holes on the snares? My 1953 (more or less) has a piece of felt between the strainer part and the snare ends where the screw goes through, providing a bit of a lift that helps somewhat.
Will do, but I'm away until Wednesday.

gkrk

Reaction score

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to play a few of these snare drums and the Clamshell strainers NEVER work right! It's a very fine balance between snares on and off! I found this post on DFO from 2008. Check out post #6 and #8 which mentions about the inside nut on the strainer... HERE

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow....I just read the above link. I have NEVER put the snares in the "on" position by putting the handle straight down (6:00)......
I have always moved it from one side (like 10:00) to the other (like 2:00). That makes no sense to me, but check out what the good doctors shows in this link. I will have to check this out when I get home:

Latest posts