Slingerland rail mount long spade swiveling at the top

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gather these long spade mounts (7" end to end) aren't supposed to rotate even though they appear to be designed with a pressed-on fit.....instead of being welded. See photo in next post. A working original would be nice but I'd bet they are very hard to find....and if you do....probably worn and/or rusted like mine.

It appears I have 2 choices. But a new reproduction from Maxwell or weld mine so it doesn't rotate. I assume the Maxwell piece is fully welded? Anyone had any issues with the Maxwell spade fitting into a vintage Slingerland diamond plate? Has anyone tried welding on the old mount top or base?

Comments appreciated.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does the whole 7” rod with 90 degree tom holder piece rotate or just the 90 degree piece?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had the Maxwell . Top notch repro. Welded.
I can also vouch for the Maxwell! I'm using it with the long spade. I went a step further and replaced all the inexpensive zinc bolts and nuts with chromed versions. Looks great!

-Mark

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does the whole 7” rod with 90 degree tom holder piece rotate or just the 90 degree piece?
The rod shaft holds tight. It's the top 90 degree spade piece that rotates. And if I didn't know how this was supposed to work and only looked at the photo above, I'd say it was meant to swivel on a factory drilled center pivot. In any case I ordered one from Maxwell's. Since the piece is a bit rusty looking too, a new one accomplishes two things over a repaired/rewelded one. And if I had that part replated after repairs, it would cost a lot more than the Maxwell piece.

Thanks for all the feedback.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The rod shaft holds tight. It's the top 90 degree spade piece that rotates. And if I didn't know how this was supposed to work and only looked at the photo above, I'd say it was meant to swivel on a factory drilled center pivot. In any case I ordered one from Maxwell's. Since the piece is a bit rusty looking too, a new one accomplishes two things over a repaired/rewelded one. And if I had that part replated after repairs, it would cost a lot more than the Maxwell piece.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Just to be clear, you're saying that the L-shaped piece (spade) that slips into the diamond plate is swiveling around the 7" rod, correct? If so, then, yes, there's an issue with it, as it should be solid. I'd also rather have a new Maxwell rail than an old, rusty, W&A rail! While many purists like the look of the "clock-face" piece on older mounts, I've always like the geared style that Ludwig went to. This is the style that the Maxwell mount copies. It's works great AND will hold the short spade, long spade or L arm tightly! Once you get the new rail mount installed, post some pictures for all to see!

-Mark

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received new Maxwell long spade. Fits nice and now gives me a left side tom. Only comment is that my long spade was 7" and this one is about 2" shorter. No issue as I don't need the extra height any ways. The Maxwell long spade looks like it is also pressed on or crimped. I don't see any welds.

Attachments

Last edited: