Slingerland Rapid Strainer

plemon1

Reaction score
Question for the Slingerland folks: I have a late 50s Slingerland snare with a rapid strainer, everything works great and is original, but I noticed when I play at medium volume, the strainer throws off, is there something I can do as a fix? I do not have the tension maxed out, any suggestions? Thank you.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Does your Rapid throw still retain it's rubber washer/grommet thingy?
I ask because they help maintain the friction pressure that keeps it engaged.
If the rubber piece is missing there are suitable fixes available in any hardware store.

plemon1

Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Does your Rapid throw still retain it's rubber washer/grommet thingy?
I ask because they help maintain the friction pressure that keeps it engaged.
If the rubber piece is missing there are suitable fixes available in any hardware store.
No it does not have a rubber grommet.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The absence of the rubber piece is likely the problem as it helps keep the rapid strainer engaged.

As I mentioned, you could fashion a replacement rubber from doo-dads found in the plumbing isle of any well-stocked hardware store. It essentially serves as a 1/2" round rubber washer that slips over the throw adjustment knob and presses against the chrome slider piece to add friction that keeps the strainer engaged.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
EvEn's right. I think you might want to try an O-ring almost wide enough to fit the shaft of the knob, but make sure it's slightly tighter so it stays put.

Latest posts