Slingerland Restoration Project

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No same brackets, same spikes.
Dude. I'm so confused about what you did.

If I can just plug and play those Tama spurs I might pick up a pair off of reverb or something. Are you saying the brackets should fit my current Slingerland shell?

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes the brackets/spurs from an early 80's Tama Superstar bass drum (see 1st pic) fit my 1970's Slingerland bass drum (see 2nd pic). Both were 22 inch bass drums. It was a few years ago, but if I recall it was tight, and I did not drill any holes.
tamaland kit dec12a.JPG
DSCN0144.JPG

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe trying out Ambassador X's on the toms. I like the idea of a thicker single ply head.
Also, does anyone have a suggestion for the bass drum cymbal mount? I have the bracket, but no arm or anything. Also don't have the wing nut.
I'm wondering if I should just buy a new Gibraltar mount and use at least one of the old holes. I have 2 Inde BR2XL's. Maybe I should just use one of those and buy any old arm...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm finally getting to do coats 3-6 of spray poly today. May even do more. Depends on if I have enough poly.
These are going to buff up real nice. Getting excited.

Anybody remember off the top of their heads how long you have to wait with water-based polyurethane between final coat and buff or polish?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I was spraying my floor tom shell and I got really excited for it. I've been using a 15" Ludwig with snare beds as a floor tom for a couple of years. Terrible tuning range. I knew why it was happening, I just didn't like the drum and didn't want to put any more money into fixing it.
All 3 of these drums are going to have freshly recut, smooth, waxed edges.
I can't wait.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe trying out Ambassador X's on the toms. I like the idea of a thicker single ply head.
Also, does anyone have a suggestion for the bass drum cymbal mount? I have the bracket, but no arm or anything. Also don't have the wing nut.
I'm wondering if I should just buy a new Gibraltar mount and use at least one of the old holes. I have 2 Inde BR2XL's. Maybe I should just use one of those and buy any old arm...
I've heard great things about the AMB X ..I say go for it .

Vibes

Reaction score
I hope your doing a light sanding between coats of poly. I refinished a natural wood set, and gave the shells a light sanding in between coats to even out the poly, and they shone like glass after the last coat and buffing. I did 4 coats.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hope your doing a light sanding between coats of poly. I refinished a natural wood set, and gave the shells a light sanding in between coats to even out the poly, and they shone like glass after the last coat and buffing. I did 4 coats.
Yep! I've been refinishing things for a while. I have a bit of experience.
3M makes these "Between Coats Sanding Pads". I like them.

Vibes

Reaction score
Yep! I've been refinishing things for a while. I have a bit of experience.
3M makes these "Between Coats Sanding Pads". I like them.
Oh ok, you didn't mention it and I was just curious. They are looking awesome. I love these type projects. I like the idea of swapping out the spur mounts with those heavier duty spur mounts. I wonder if those Sam Bernard sells would fit?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh ok, you didn't mention it and I was just curious. They are looking awesome. I love these type projects. I like the idea of swapping out the spur mounts with those heavier duty spur mounts. I wonder if those Sam Bernard sells would fit?
Hmm. I don't know who that is. Enlighten me!
I had trouble finding the Tama ones mentioned earlier. Any other suggestions?

poco rit.

Reaction score
All i can add to the convo is nice work. :)

I have a question. You said you used an old Ludwig marcher as a snare?? Do you have a recording/video of you playin it with the rest of a drum kit? Or like in a band context? When I see a drummer do that it always sounds great to me.

Latest posts