Slingerland RK 7.5x14

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Woah woah woah put down the dang drill now and think this through. You've put in too much work to screw this up by modifying the shell. Original finish is one thing, but extra holes is a WHOLE other class of no-no's.
Relax relax, I’m not in a hurry to drill anything. But it does beg the question - would that really be screwing it up? Personally, I don’t think there’s any chance this shell has collector’s value. You could even argue that I’d be adding value (even with a hole) by making it playable and reliable.

Anyways, here’s a pic of how far it would need to be off of the shell @JDA

8780874E-05B0-4E04-80E9-2914E6A59F75.jpeg

Reactions: JDA

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
New plan: no drill, everyone’s happy. I mounted the Inde flat against the shell using the bottom bolt through the shell, and ran a strap of brass flat stock from the top two bolts over the mounting arm of the strainer. Seems solid enough and took way less time than making a spacer to go underneath.

09B5DFB4-9297-45D6-A30B-02756A6BCD60.jpeg
91B7F072-A878-4D56-BE81-AAF3109B9190.jpeg

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
:cool::cool::cool:

A9CBE7C5-12EE-4C7A-9AA6-EC0E980E481F.jpeg
FF95C4D0-A79A-4889-BDFC-1E8F3D4FC5DB.jpeg
144F6A59-F3F7-4475-9F73-319ED7278DF5.jpeg

Well, it looks great, but as soon as I attached the wires, I ran into an issue. I haven’t tried all that hard to resolve it, but the dip in the head at the beds is causing the end plates to pull down and bow the wires away from the head even at low tension. It goes from way too loose to no snare engagement at all. Currently have puresound 30 strand installed, but have some 42 strand in reserve in case that would help. This problem doesn’t manifest on my Gretsch snare with deep beds...maybe it’s the shape of the end plates? Any thoughts?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't use the Gibraltar 3 pt throw off ($23) as it's a fairly close fit to the top 2 original holes. You don't even need the lower 3rd hole for support.
I've since found a vintage 3 pt for mine so now the snare chord drops straight down to the bracket. You can find nice original dual felt muffler assemblies fully complete for around $25-$35.

slingerland rk barn find 1948 ALL DONE.JPG

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
@Tama CW I haven’t found brackets for it yet, but the “Jamo special” modified versions I’ve seen of this drum apparently work just fine without them. The strainer choice was more about getting the Inde butt plate that would have the ability to line up with the original bracket holes on the other side. It’s not that much more expensive for the Inde kit, which is much nicer IMO.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sorry you’re not happy with the way it turned out, I’ll just have to take it off your hands!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't use the Gibraltar 3 pt throw off ($23) as it's a fairly close fit to the top 2 original holes. You don't even need the lower 3rd hole for support.
I've since found a vintage 3 pt for mine so now the snare chord drops straight down to the bracket. You can find nice original dual felt muffler assemblies fully complete for around $25-$35.

View attachment 491807
Hey, CW. My '53 RK has a full extra quarter inch of depth, 5.75" rather than 5.5". The OP's RK is half an inch deeper than advertised. What is the depth on yours?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is 5.5". I don't recall if it might be a fraction bigger though. It's not 5.75" though. When I shift from my Supra to the RK I always have to lower my stand a bit.

If you go on the "Slingerland Sets and Snare Drums" FB site, you can probably find those brackets. I recall a guy with a hoard on NOS ones earlier this year. He had dozens of them I think.
They don't add all that much (if any) to the sound of the drum. According to posts I've read, Gene Krupa would sometimes remove them from his drums.