Slingerland Satin Flame Pearl cleaning?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm doing a refurb for a local friend of a blue satin flame solid-shell Artist from a matching '64 kit. Chrome is easily restorable, Zoomatic in good condition with knob affixed, original extended snare wires with metal strap, etc. However, I have no experience cleaning a satin flame finish, and I don't want to inadvertently scratch it any more than it already is. There are already a few minor cracks - nothing alarming, and of course I realize that I'll never get the "blue" back (it's faded to a lavender), but I'd love to get some of the luster back. Is it possible, and what product(s) would you recommend?

Attachments

viragobike4

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scrubbing Bubbles with a soft (I mean soft) brush. Brush in direction of the flame pattern followed by Novus #1. These were pretty groady

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
richm said:
Scrubbing Bubbles with a soft (I mean soft) brush. Brush in direction of the flame pattern followed by Novus #1. These were pretty groady
Advice taken! Thanks, richm. Soft brush, as in toothbrush?
And man, what a killer looking set! Drums are nice, too. ;-)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice snare - I have a 12/14/18 (real bass!) in blue satin flame........I've toyed with the idea of a matching Slingy wood snare but I already have a red sparkle RK, champagne Artist and a 50's satin mahogany.......another wood one would be overkill........if your buddy is thinking of selling or a trade (I have a ton of cymbals and 25+ snares).....have him contact me.....thanks.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Nice snare - I have a 12/14/18 (real bass!) in blue satin flame........I've toyed with the idea of a matching Slingy wood snare but I already have a red sparkle RK, champagne Artist and a 50's satin mahogany.......another wood one would be overkill........if your buddy is thinking of selling or a trade (I have a ton of cymbals and 25+ snares).....have him contact me.....thanks.
Will do, JazzDrumGuy. There's a 90% chance he'll want to sell it after he tries it out first. He owns a consignment shop, so for him, everything is for sale.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Scrubbing Bubbles is the ticket. The wrap looks much better.

Only unfortunate side effect from all this detailing is that it became apparent that someone used steel wool on the COB hoops at some point. The swirl is kind of obvious in this pic due to the flash from my camera. Not really noticeable to the naked eye, luckily.

Attachments

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!! I just picked up a Gretsch RB Satin Flame kit, with a matching Slingy tom. Now to get cleaning!!