Slingerland Set-O-Matic loose bass drum mount

928GTS

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a '68 Slingerland that has an original Set-O-Matic tom mount. Lately, I have noticed that the base plate on the top of the bass drum is failing to keep tension on the tom mount rod causing the toms to slip lower and lower down in height. No matter how tight I try to make the wingnut screw against the metal collar that compresses around the tom mount rod it just doesn't not seem to want to clamp hard enough against the rod to keep it firmly in place. I've owned the kit for 10 years and this is the first time that I've had this issue. Is there something that can be done to remedy this?

Thank you.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a '68, then it would be the aluminum mount where the wing bolt presses directly into the tom downtube. Either the bolt is stripped or the the last few threads on the bass plate are stripped.

928GTS

Reaction score
Hm, perhaps this mount may not be original as the mount that is on the drum has a wing bolt that presses against a circular metal collar that resides inside of the mount shaft. It looks like the wing bolt causes the metal collar to constrict thus holding the tom downtube tightly in its grasp. However, with my drum that grip is no longer very tight.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have the chrome mount on the bass drum. Is the Setomatic arm from the same era or an earlier late '60s version? Post pics

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
All the set-o-matic arms I've had use a memory clamp to retain the height setting and also to keep it from slipping. It's not a modern cast type memory lock but rather a sort of hose clamp type assembly like you usually see on hi-hat stands of the same era. It seems to add that extra bit of security that the clamp might lack otherwise.

This clamp is shown in the catalog illustrations so it was an original part and not something added on by owners down the line. Does you SOM arm have that in place? Perhaps this was something added later in the game when it became clear that the base plate itself was not up to the task so maybe a 1968 unit did not include it. Here's from the 73 catalog.

P27.jpg

928GTS

Reaction score
I've taken two photos showing both the tom mount as well as what the metal collar looks like that secures the tom downtube in place. I am unable to create a tight enough grasp on the downtube by tightening the wing bolt. Is there any way that I can adjust this or is there a part in the assembly that has become worn through age and use?

IMG_20201230_140637.jpg

IMG_20201207_215116.jpg

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pre-set-o-matic. I assume the toms are clip/diamond plate. Looks like the metal collar insert is deformed preventing full tightening. You'll want to diasassemble that and coax it back into round. And while it's apart make sure the threads are good all the way through. If not it might be binding the wing bolt as well.

jmetatual

Reaction score
squidart is correct, that is the #171 double tom mount, not a set-o-matic. What lead you to a '68 date for your kit?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As mentioned that's the earlier version from before the SoM was released. It's basically the tensioner from the bottom section
of a cymbal stand turned into a double tom mount. Ludwig used a similar setup for their Standard line drums. From my experience with those (I haven't used the Slingerland version but they are essentially the same) I'd again suggest that some sort of memory lock is mandatory. You need one that fits a 5/8ths inch pipe.

928GTS

Reaction score
squidart is correct, that is the #171 double tom mount, not a set-o-matic. What lead you to a '68 date for your kit?
I sincerely appreciate everyone's assistance. I had no idea that memory locks existed. I *thought* that my kit was a '68 due to the serial numbers on some of the other pieces. However, I received this set decidedly as a pieces and parts set so the set likely consists of pieces from all over the time map.