Slingerland Snare Chicago 1959

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi XDrums!

If this is a 6-lug model, which it appears to be, then your drum is the "Special Student Drum". Here's a link to the Slingerland 1959 catalog showing your drum... Click Here

Hope this helps!

-Mark

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the response. It’s an 8-lug.

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also has the case with stand. I was trying to find out more about it. I’ll be posting on reverb today. Thanks so much for your replies.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice drum and in very nice condition and I would love to have it but still a student line six lug drum. Might be a student Radio King but the shell and hoops nothing like a real Radio King hence totally different sound and value than a Radio King.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice drum and in very nice condition and I would love to have it but still a student line six lug drum. Might be a student Radio King but the shell and hoops nothing like a real Radio King hence totally different sound and value than a Radio King.

I'm seeing 8
slingy.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Student RK. I have the same drum from 9-9-59. Mine has S hoops and had the rapid strainer which I swapped out for a Repro 3 pointer. 5.5x14.

Awesome drum...looking forward to more pics and the listing!

jmetatual

Reaction score
Might be a student Radio King but the shell and hoops nothing like a real Radio King hence totally different sound and value than a Radio King.
1959 with 8 lugs & Rapid strainer. It is a 'Student Model Radio King', but as steambent points out it is a "Radio King" in name only. In 1960 the exact same drum is simply called a 'Student Model Snare Drum'. Nice condition, GLWS.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1959 with 8 lugs & Rapid strainer. It is a 'Student Model Radio King', but as steambent points out it is a "Radio King" in name only. In 1960 the exact same drum is simply called a 'Student Model Snare Drum'. Nice condition, GLWS.
Funny how the 8 lug is called Student Snare and the 6 lug is called Special Student Snare.