Slingerland Snare De-wrap?

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Picked up this snare with a "P" stamp inside. But instead of a Pearl wrap covering, it looks like someone removed it and stained the outer ply. The grommet has obviously been tampered with.
The drum doesn't look bad with the stained finish, but I'm thinking about putting some new wrap on it. What would you do?
20211218_211858.jpg
20211218_211649.jpg
20211218_210659.jpg
20211218_210642.jpg
20211218_211026.jpg
20211218_210932.jpg
20211218_210921.jpg
20211218_210729.jpg
20211218_210723.jpg
20211218_210708.jpg

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just the picture but looks like someone altered the snare beds. Looks like fresh pencil marks by the center of the beds and they look pretty severe depth wise.
I have lots of old Slingy snares and while most are pretty deep something doesn’t look right.
If it sounds good and you can get heads to seat on the bottom then I would vote for re wrap and a better job on the grommet.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just the picture but looks like someone altered the snare beds. Looks like fresh pencil marks by the center of the beds and they look pretty severe depth wise.
I have lots of old Slingy snares and while most are pretty deep something doesn’t look right.
I noticed that as well. Not only are they very deep, but they seem to be off center in relation to the lugs.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it looks good and sounds good, and you are happy with the price you paid, leave it as is.
Yes the snare beds have been modified and it no longer has it's original wrap.
You could re wrap or paint it to your personal taste. If you have a different idea in mind go for it. Won't be too expensive.
It's already been modified enough that originality is long gone.
Maybe the original bearing edges were not done well and this is an improvement.

Last edited:

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll have to fix those beds before anything else is done. The both sides are so far offset, it’ll likely be very difficult to tune. The depth is another issue. Modern plastic heads will not confirm to that very well at all ab you’ll be left with a flappy snare side head at the bed.
Widen the beds evenly and either reduced the depth of the entire shell on the snare side or buy a natural hide snare side head from Bovid or another source to work well with that drum.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it sounds good and you can get heads to seat on the bottom then I would vote for re wrap and a better job on the grommet.
Yeah, me too . I've done numerous marcher - to - kit snare conversions and my instincts tell me this may be one . Are those COB hoops ?

I have a box of discarded internal dampener assemblies . Usually a compatibly sized dial can be found in there for something like the zoomatic knob .

jmetatual

Reaction score
Yeah, me too . I've done numerous marcher - to - kit snare conversions and my instincts tell me this may be one .
Unlikely in this case. The details point to a circa '65 Artist model. Other than the removed wrap, snare beds and wires it is factory correct.

MDBDrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dark walnut was a finish for Slingerland. I have a snare in this color but agree the badge looks altered.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dark walnut was a finish for Slingerland. I have a snare in this color but agree the badge looks altered.
What happened to the re-ring? Did you take it off? I think that the snare was cut and those beds look sooo deep. Anyway, wrap it and play it. Or leave as is and play it.