Slingerland snare restoration project complete!!!

bcrain

Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to use the dark blue sparkle wrap but it was in terrible condition, along with pitting and rusting on the lugs and tension rods. So I pretty much broke it down and started from scratch. The Drum was manufactured the month and year of my birth, so I had to have it - I was really hoping I could save the blue wrap but no dice. It turned out to be in much worse shape than I thought, So I had it re-wrapped, cleaned all the parts- including deep cleaning of the tension rods, replaced 4 lugs, polished chrome.. and here is the finished product. Before and after. 

Attachments

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks nice. So what was so bad about the original wrap? I'm not seeing anything that bad.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a cool find! I have never sought a drum based on its date, but a birthday Slingerland? Yep, I would be all over that! I'm 1962 as well though a couple of months younger and it would be cool to find a drum from my year. I grew up a Slingerland fan and it's still the only vintage brand I own.

You did a GREAT job on the project, BIG thumbs up for the results. I am surprised at your choice of WMP, I know that Slingerland offered the light blue pearl which was a strata, horizontal pattern, but this looks like Ludwig's version with the defined grain pattern. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to throw ANY stones at all, you did a super job, just wondering what attracted you to that finish as opposed to maybe a year correct Slingerland finish?

They did not have a 1962 catalog offering but the 1960 and '63 swatch pages are the same...

7d9b99787bfacdbed5e323757aaafe81.jpg

bcrain

Reaction score
Looks nice. So what was so bad about the original wrap? I'm not seeing anything that bad.
i thought the same thing until it arrived...it was very splotchy, uneven color and multiple applications of Novus 1-2 didn't put a dent in it. The seller was not forthcoming about the condition- the pics hide it well!

bcrain

Reaction score
What a cool find! I have never sought a drum based on its date, but a birthday Slingerland? Yep, I would be all over that! I'm 1962 as well though a couple of months younger and it would be cool to find a drum from my year. I grew up a Slingerland fan and it's still the only vintage brand I own.

You did a GREAT job on the project, BIG thumbs up for the results. I am surprised at your choice of WMP, I know that Slingerland offered the light blue pearl which was a strata, horizontal pattern, but this looks like Ludwig's version with the defined grain pattern. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to throw ANY stones at all, you did a super job, just wondering what attracted you to that finish as opposed to maybe a year correct Slingerland finish?

They did not have a 1962 catalog offering but the 1960 and '63 swatch pages are the same...

View attachment 445885
I didn't expect to have to re-wrap it, but the guy who did it is a custom drum builder who happened to have some scraps laying around that kept me from having to order from Precision. It was either silver sparkle or this.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't expect to have to re-wrap it, but the guy who did it is a custom drum builder who happened to have some scraps laying around that kept me from having to order from Precision. It was either silver sparkle or this.
While there was no wrong answer because it's yours and the only opinion that maters is your own... that is a GREAT reason! Ludwig Marine Pearl it is then!LOL! It really looks awesome, I'm tickled for your find, congrats on the add.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is my birth year and month too! Great job, it looks very nice!