Slingerland Spit Fire 12 lug cob snare worth, in excellent condition

Blitzkrieg33

Reaction score
I recently got back into playing, and bought a really nice Slingerland chrome over maple, with 2 times 24" kicks, and a 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 inch double head Tom's, and 18" and a 20" floor Tom's, with lots of vintage zildjian cymbals. Anyhow, it has a few pieces I wont likely use, like a black color Yellow Jacket pedal, a Rocket snare stand, and a 12 lug Spit Fire chrome over brass snare with TDR. The bass pedal is in very good condition, and snare is beautiful. Any idea what these are worth? I appreciate any input, and boy, do these old drums sound great.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only one I could find on the ebay "sold" listings was described as a "player's" drum due to the typical loss of lacquer over the brass shell (see the picture, below). It sold for $325 plus shipping. The price you should ask for your's is totally dependant on the drum's condition. I'd speculate that Spitfires in "average" condition should fetch $400-500. Good luck with your sale.

GeeDeeEmm
1575865571022.png

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
It would make the rest of your kit more valuable if you kept it. Spitfires are rare and fantastic drums. I own ten, mostly wood shell examples. If it's mint, or close to it, then $400 is reasonable, or $600 if similar condition wood shelled.

Blitzkrieg33

Reaction score
The only one I could find on the ebay "sold" listings was described as a "player's" drum due to the typical loss of lacquer over the brass shell (see the picture, below). It sold for $325 plus shipping. The price you should ask for your's is totally dependant on the drum's condition. I'd speculate that Spitfires in "average" condition should fetch $400-500. Good luck with your sale.

GeeDeeEmm
View attachment 419217
Mine is in much, much better condition than this, and is cob, but is incredibly nice. Thank you very much.

Blitzkrieg33

Reaction score
It would make the rest of your kit more valuable if you kept it. Spitfires are rare and fantastic drums. I own ten, mostly wood shell examples. If it's mint, or close to it, then $400 is reasonable, or $600 if similar condition wood shelled.
I have thought about it, and think you are correct. This thing, if I spent half an hour cleaning, would almost look new. It is chrome over brass, and all chrome is perfect, including shell, rims, and lugs w tensioner. Thank you. I'm hoping I got a good deal, as I cant find any like it online. I paid $2200 for the snare, all Slingerland stands, a black yellow jacket pedal, Zildjian 14 new beats, like new, 21" A custom ride, 18" A custom crash, 16" A custom crash, 2 10" splash, and drums are 24" chrome over wood times 2, 12", 13", 14", 15", 16" double head Tom's, and an 18" and 20" floor Tom's, all with proper hardware and fantastic condition. What do you guys think?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While I owned a COB 5x14 Spitfire back in the early 70's, I wasn't that thrilled with it. Yes, I had it for many years. It's pictured here with my 1972 Rogers Celebrity kit and is the only picture I have of the drum! For myself, I found tuning a 12-lug drum to be too much hassle, because the lugs are too close together. The secret is to only make small turns on each tension rod to keep the next one from loosening too much. After selling this drum, I just couldn't see the point in anything more than 10 lugs. Still, the Spitfire is somewhat rare. A 5-ply 5x14, wrapped in WMP, sold on eBay back in 2008 for $610! My personal opinion is that a COB model, in VG condition, and with the proper snare wires, should fetch about $400. Condition is everything!

-Mark

Attachments

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Great deal for 2.2K. While the spitfire is more time consuming to tune with 12 lugs, once tuned, it stays in tune, more so than any of my ten or eight luggers. That was how they advertised it back in the day. But I like a tight snare sound. Certainly easier to tune than either of my old Dynasonics. And, incidentally, you can actually have your lugs assigned to actual numbers on a clock face, which is kinda cool. And there is that "This Is Spinal Tap" bragging-right of being able to say that my drum cranks up to 12! I just am a huge Louis Bellson fan too ...

Mark, that Rogers Celebrity kit is beautiful!