Slingerland "Spitfire"

H

hindadoon

I started a thread over in the general section a few weeks ago about these drums. To my surprise only one other member (Phil) chimed in.....

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/54446-slingerland-cow-spitfire/

Anyway, I picked one up yesterday and I'm loving it. I don't see a lot of these and I'm wondering why they don't get more attention/respect..... This drum really sounds fantastic......

Enjoy,
Paul

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Paul: I had one years ago. Great drum. Probably not much buzz about them because there aren't that many of them. I wish I hadn't let it get away. I was a Pearl guy at the time. The Artist Relations guy in 1978 was Rich Picollo. (Great name for a drummer.) Anyway, he came to a 2 night concert at a theater in the round up there, in Niles, (can't remember the name of the place,)and arranged to pick me up and take me through the Slingerland plant on day #2, when I didn't have a soundcheck or anything. I came home with a Spitfire and a Yellowjacket bass drum pedal. I eventually gave them both away. (To friends, of course, who needed them.) At the time, I was 100% Pearl, and had everything I needed. Since I did not go with Slingerland, I didn't feel the need to keep the stuff.

Anyway, have fun with the Spitfire. I remember it being a really nice drum.

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
nice looking drum... are all of these COW, or where there other finishes? what exactly makes it a "spitfire"? i didn't see any of these on the bay....

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
nice looking drum... are all of these COW, or where there other finishes? what exactly makes it a "spitfire"? i didn't see any of these on the bay....
12 lugs, 4 vent holes and TDR strainer is what makes the spitfire unique. They were only listed in the 1979 catalog. You could get them in wood or brass. I ordered one in 1979 with a kit but didn't pay attention to the snare material and ended up with the COW instead of the COB I really wanted. I still have it and it is a nice drum ... just wish I'd gotten the brass.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 79 Spitfire,5x14 Lacquered brass shell,all original except the heads.I've see an occasional 6 1/2 x14 but none in my size.They sound amazing and have a broad tuning range.When I first got this drum it just amazed me that it had 12 lugs.When you tell other people about it they say...you mean 6 up and 6 down?.....no 12 soundking lugs.Ill post photos asap.The drum is a solid 9 out of 10.

Steve B

H

hindadoon

12 lugs, 4 vent holes and TDR strainer is what makes the spitfire unique. They were only listed in the 1979 catalog. You could get them in wood or brass. I ordered one in 1979 with a kit but didn't pay attention to the snare material and ended up with the COW instead of the COB I really wanted. I still have it and it is a nice drum ... just wish I'd gotten the brass.
Nice, is this a 6.5 depth?

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
Also available in 1979 was a twelve lug/four vent hole Radio King. Available with the TDR or three point strainers. Solid maple shell. Unfortunately, I sold this rare bird last year.

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
yes it is a 6.5" shell.

H

hindadoon

Also available in 1979 was a twelve lug/four vent hole Radio King. Available with the TDR or three point strainers. Solid maple shell. Unfortunately, I sold this rare bird last year.
That is a beauty. I didn't know those existed.

Anyone know what the Spitfire shell make up is? 6 or 9 ply maple?
Paul

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score

Paul
Pretty sure they were available in lacquered brass,COB,and 5 ply maple/mahogany/maple.They were available with the TDR strainer for only one year in 79.The following year they were refered to as series 200 Spitfire and came with the Slapshot strainer.So if we seem to have a rare drum if it has a TDR strainer.

Steve B

H

hindadoon

yes it is a 6.5" shell.
I would be interested in the 6.5 Spitfire should you decide to sell it. I have some COB Slingerland drums too.......

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score

Paul
Pretty sure they were available in lacquered brass,COB,and 5 ply maple/mahogany/maple.They were available with the TDR strainer for only one year in 79.The following year they were refered to as series 200 Spitfire and came with the Slapshot strainer.So we seem to have a rare drum if it has a TDR strainer.

Steve B
Yeah I just checked the 79 and 80 catalog.The info on my previous post is 100% correct.

Steve B

PremierCarl

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous snare drum!!

Re Tommy: (can't remember the name of the place,) You played The Mill Run Playhouse or Mill Run Theatre, part of the Golf Mill Shopping Center in Niles. 1600 Seat venue built in 1965 demolished in 1984.

H

hindadoon

Paul: I had one years ago. Great drum. Probably not much buzz about them because there aren't that many of them. I wish I hadn't let it get away. I was a Pearl guy at the time. The Artist Relations guy in 1978 was Rich Picollo. (Great name for a drummer.) Anyway, he came to a 2 night concert at a theater in the round up there, in Niles, (can't remember the name of the place,)and arranged to pick me up and take me through the Slingerland plant on day #2, when I didn't have a soundcheck or anything. I came home with a Spitfire and a Yellowjacket bass drum pedal. I eventually gave them both away. (To friends, of course, who needed them.) At the time, I was 100% Pearl, and had everything I needed. Since I did not go with Slingerland, I didn't feel the need to keep the stuff.

Anyway, have fun with the Spitfire. I remember it being a really nice drum.
Thanks Tommy. That was probably one of the first Spitfires you had there. Glad it went to a friend in need.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Thanks, Paul. It did. I was generous with my stuff back then. That's why I don't have ANY of it now.... :blackeye:

And Carl, that's right! Mill Run! Fun place to play. Only played there that one time. Another theater in the round that is gone was Melody Fair in North Tonawanda, N.Y. We played a bunch of them in those days.

PremierCarl

Reaction score
We still have an "in the round" theater here in Phoenix. The Celebrity Theatre, I've see n a lot of bands in there Cheap Trick, Lonestar, The Smithereens, The Outfield, The Fixx, the late great Sam Kinison!! Actually saw Danny Seraphine's coming out of retirement show there when he played at the Lissa Wales Benefit!! GREAT VENUE!!

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Paul that's a beaut!!! I keep phasing in and out on Slingerland gear. Just when I get the urge to really study it, something comes up and I have to set the thoughts aside.

I have a red sparkle Jam Session set with period pedal and high hat and two Buddy Rich stands and I've got a 12x15 marcher that's eventually going to be a floor tom. I have a lot of fun with this set ...

I wasn't even aware of the Spitfire .... but you've got my curiosity up now ...

Robb

st.inc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i just got one of the 5.5 x 14 brass 12 lug with tdr strainer or maybe its 5" im not sure. it came with the whole slingerland kit i just bought. the funny thing is when i went and picked them up the guy said it was just a steel slingerland snare so i didnt even take it out of the case to look at it. i was really pleased when i opened the case when i got it home and saw what it was.

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite snares. They have a little bit of a darker sound to me. Not sure if it is the 4 vents or if it is that copper shell that everyone was speculating about not too long ago.

Latest posts