Slingerland Stage band or Ludwig Clubdate......center lug drums

S

skinsman

I see a lot of positive talk about tone on these two brands and thier center lug kits.
Originally introduced as a way into the brand but not top shelf..........
I see a lot of jazzers playing these kits and I must say I have never heard one I didn't like.
I'd like to hear comments about this....from guys in the know!!

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
they are hands down, my favorites of the two brands ludwig and slingerland, my Club dates, sound way better than any of my super classic kits, and my stage band slingerlands sound way better than any of my double tension models, less hardware mounted to the drums lets the shells vibrate and resonate better and more freely!! that's also why I like my Ludwig ludwig kit over my leedy kits!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I started out on Clubdates in 1964 and they sounded OK. I have a Slingerland Jet Kit with a Stageband floor tom and the floor tom sounds pretty good. When you use vintage drums you are using kits with crappy hardware, which makes them less than gigworthy IMHO. I brought the kit shown in this photo to a jam at a local club and not a single other drummer liked it because all played heel up and the bass drum would creep away from them two bars into a song. The kit sounds great, but the realities of using a kit with disappearing spurs that are flimsy, a rail mount and a fairly anemic shell mounted cymbal holder does not work well with many drummers. I love the kit because I don't hit hard and do play heel down, but was asked to never show up with it again :)

The left side crash was set up for drummers who would actually use it. I think I had pushed it a bit out of my way when I was behind the kit (and that geezer on the kit is me): The stagebband ft is shown.

FMDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned three sets of Clubdates over the last 10 years and they were (and are) among the best sounding drums I've owned. I agree that they are best for Jazz, followed by Classic Rock type settings, but they are warm and easy to tune. I've used them live and in recording settings... I fortunately have not yet been told to not bring them to a gig anymore by anyone.

You are correct in that the intent was to lower prices by using less hardware, while staying in the brand (before the days of off-shore manufacturing became the norm). Some state that the smaller amount of hardware allows more resonance.... either way, I highly recommend them.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my "stage band set"...I don't trust the spurs on any set, vintage or modern, so I use a "Crash Pad" drum rug that has a built in "block" to keep the bass drum from creeping. I'm also nervous about using the bass mounted cymbal arms...
That being said, I gig all the time with my stage band ket with no problems. They look and sound cooler, to me, than modern entry or mid level
"gigging" sets...and since I don't get much $ when I play, I feel like I should at least enjoy a cool kit (when I'm bringing a kit).

Bottom line...stage band and club date sets make great sets!

S

skinsman

Rich, that set looks great! I'll bet it's a gas to play too!

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
I like mine lots. In fact, i'd trade any of my Super Classics for a Clubdate kit of the same color & condition....marko

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I didn't really like the look of center lug drums to tell the truth, but I've gotten over that. Having played a few Club Date kits convinced me that these are just great sounding kits (Marco's being one of them). They also appeal to my sense of economy as they seem to go for a fair bit cheaper than the separate lug models of the same drums. If I were in the market for another kit, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pick up a set of Club Dates or the Slingerland version of 'em.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i guess i'm one of these guys that likes to pull for the underdogs. i like clubdates better than classics and acros better than supras. heck, i even like my pioneers better than my jazz festival.

my clubdates are big and simple. 22/13 ludwig clubdate combos in galaxy with a matching pioneer. like marko, i'd trade my sky blue pearl classic hollywoods for the same in clubdates but they would have to be super super nice as my classic kit is. dont get me wrong. i love my classics. but the clubdates just appeal to me. i would love to own a 20/12/14 kit in a clubdate sparkle wrap,especially gold or green,one day!!

there is a member that has a set of gold satin slingy center lugs with snare for way less than 1000 bucks on here for sale right now. they are killing [email protected]

mike

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I love the Stageband and Clubdates. It seems, in high school in Indiana in the 60s, that those drums were the most popular drums. All my friends has clubbies and Stageband sets, except for one, that had that Delta set, from Butler's Music in Marion, In. They were champaigne sparkle and looked and sounded great. I was playing a set of Pearls that were my own drums and a set of Slingys that belonged to the high school. (Which were in my possession for 3 years.) :icon_smile: I was always jealous of the other guys drums. But I practiced harder in an effort to make up for my equipment shortcomings.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I love the Stageband and Clubdates. It seems, in high school in Indiana in the 60s, that those drums were the most popular drums. All my friends has clubbies and Stageband sets, except for one, that had that Delta set, from Butler's Music in Marion, In. They were champaigne sparkle and looked and sounded great. I was playing a set of Pearls that were my own drums and a set of Slingys that belonged to the high school. (Which were in my possession for 3 years.) :icon_smile: I was always jealous of the other guys drums. But I practiced harder in an effort to make up for my equipment shortcomings.
and i'd say that worked out very well for you tommy! :icon_smile:

mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
They were intended to sell for less but used the exact same shell as the top of the line drums...any club date shell could have been a Super Classic drum if it had been drilled differently (and vice-versa). It just depended on what the worker needed to make when he pulled a shell off the stack.

I like mine a lot. My first drum set I got back in 1974.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
My first CD's were given to me,'70's 12,14,20 blue sparkle.
The next 2 kits were both 60's for $50 each kit. one champaign sparkle,one maroon lacquer
The next was a '58 22,13 CD,poineer and a classic 16 for $50 at a rummage sale,maroon lacquer.
All those kits sounded great and took a beating.
Tons of tone,easy to schlep around,just great drums!
Pat

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I have 2/3 of a Clubdate kit with a Classic floor tom, and I really like them. They're going to be my Church kit---they're not as loud as the rest of my stuff, respond well to more muffling than I normally use, and best of all---they match the carpeting!

S

skinsman

Well it looks like my lonely 22 inch stage band virgin bass has some new brothers. There is another 22 coming with a 13 and a 16 on it's way, at least I think its a 16.
So the set will be 22, 22, 13, 16 in WMP with a matching snare....
Looks like I am going to have to hunt down a 13 and a 16 sticksaver......anyone got one?

Mart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like mine lots. In fact, i'd trade any of my Super Classics for a Clubdate kit of the same color & condition....marko
And the Club Dates work great if you happen to be left handed