Slingerland Stage band or Ludwig Clubdate......center lug drums

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like the center lug drums too, but I especially have a soft spot for the Rogers Tower drums. Just FYI, skinsman, the Rogers drums with center lugs have paper tags that identify them as Tower models -- the configurations were often sold as 20/12 and a snare (usually the Luxor 6-lug but sometimes the Tower 8-lug), called the "Comet" setup -- add the 14" Tower floor tom and you have a "Delta" setup.

My first vintage kit was a blue sparkle Tower kit. I got the 20/12 from my high school -- traded them a cheap acoustic guitar -- and I bought the rare matching 14 and a Tower snare from Bobby Chaisson at the Drum Farm. He may still have one or two of the drums, but I think they got split up. :( Man I miss those.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like mine lots. In fact, i'd trade any of my Super Classics for a Clubdate kit of the same color & condition....marko
That's the coolest kit on here!
AND it's set up for me to play!
Love Gold Sparkle!
Pat

OldandGold

Reaction score
Well it looks like my lonely 22 inch stage band virgin bass has some new brothers. There is another 22 coming with a 13 and a 16 on it's way, at least I think its a 16.
So the set will be 22, 22, 13, 16 in WMP with a matching snare....
Looks like I am going to have to hunt down a 13 and a 16 sticksaver......anyone got one?
I also have a stage band missing a bottom rim... Ive been searching the internet and had to say it because within 30 mins i found 6 sets with missing rims! weird

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love my Slingerland Stage Band set. I've used these for 35 years. The 12 and 13 toms were originally on a rail mount, but I switched them to a stand mount so I could put them more to my left. GREAT sounding drums.

And a beautiful walnut stain.

The floor is a 14 x 16. Looking for a 16 x 16 if anyone has one they'd like to sell or trade.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
here`s an idea, 12,14,18 or 20 with a matching 13 or 14 inch snare, all 6 lug center drums, bet they would kill!!! i`ld imagine a 15 would work also if you could find some 6 lug rims for it. ludwig should jump on it, if they don`t DW will :twisted:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
I have my original CDs from the mid 60's ... I bought the snare first as part of a beginner kit ... just happened to be a Jazz Fest but I didn't know that at the time .. snare is still with the set though. I didn't have the FT at first and the one that was added was a Classic. But I do have a complete 14x14 CD FT that has been stripped and ready for wrap ... just have to decide what wrap to do ... vintage WMP or do the whole kit in something different.

Also have a set of Slingerland Jam Sessions which came without a FT. Thought about a Stage Band FT but found a deal on a 12x15 marching snare that I decided I would use instead just to have something different. It needs to be wrapped as well and needs the correct FT legs. For now I'm just using a generic FT when I need one.

Both sets have a unique sound to them . I don't alternate them as the CDs need some work to be seriously playable again.

Robb

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Skinsman, I am so jealous. You have a 16" stage band floor tom in WMP???? I have the same kit except with 8x12 tom and 14x14 floor. I did just acquire a beautiful condition 9x13 tom to go with it. I would die to find the 16 floor. And I agree with everyone. These drums have very nice tone.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I liked my Rogers Towers so much, that when it came time to build out my Tempus C/F shells, I ordered center mount "arch" lugs from Allstar. Kept the cost and weight down, and everything looks and sounds great.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
No mention of the Gretsch Playboys...sexiest name. Same deal, cut the price down by using double ended snare lugs, but those are Jasper shells.

05.jpg

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were intended to sell for less but used the exact same shell as the top of the line drums...any club date shell could have been a Super Classic drum if it had been drilled differently (and vice-versa). It just depended on what the worker needed to make when he pulled a shell off the stack.

I like mine a lot. My first drum set I got back in 1974.

K.O., I enjoyed that video immensely. Watched/listened twice.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the center lug Slingerland Stage Band or Camco Tuxedo 14” floor tom most for the eight lugs. A Stage Band just sold online today for $275 plus ship/tax. Fair price for a quality drum.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Slingerland bass I have for my project is a Stage Band model. I'm having great difficulty trying to figure out what was mounted on it. It's the size of a lug. . .but it looks so darn random. Bottom right.

1608526987951.png

Maybe a cymbal arm?????

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Slingerland bass I have for my project is a Stage Band model. I'm having great difficulty trying to figure out what was mounted on it. It's the size of a lug. . .but it looks so darn random. Bottom right.

View attachment 475732

Maybe a cymbal arm?????
Yes, cymbal arm mount. It's the same mount Slingerland used for the floor tom legs

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm restoring a stencil center lug set of "Tempo" drums, 20, 14, 12, 14×5..
I think there is something to the center lug on the thin shells. Vis K.D 's video, wonderful!
On this import kit I guess someone figured out how to get the spurs to stick and proceeded to kick the tar out the drum causing cracks in the shell at the spurs.
Something to check for buying a set like this.
I am in the process of gluing an additional ply to the interior of the bass drum to renew its integrity. Tried it out before starting repairing and it sounded great, hope the sound doesn't change too much. By the way, this one has a third re ring in the center of the bass drum. Do the American bass drums have that too?
I'll post a thread of them once they are completed. I did post a thread on the 12 tom.
Excuse me if my firewood kit doesn't belong here, but it does use center lugs and it does sound different and good and is old.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm restoring a stencil center lug set of "Tempo" drums, 20, 14, 12, 14×5..
I think there is something to the center lug on the thin shells. Vis K.D 's video, wonderful!
On this import kit I guess someone figured out how to get the spurs to stick and proceeded to kick the tar out the drum causing cracks in the shell at the spurs.
Something to check for buying a set like this.
I am in the process of gluing an additional ply to the interior of the bass drum to renew its integrity. Tried it out before starting repairing and it sounded great, hope the sound doesn't change too much. By the way, this one has a third re ring in the center of the bass drum. Do the American bass drums have that too?
I'll post a thread of them once they are completed. I did post a thread on the 12 tom.
Excuse me if my firewood kit doesn't belong here, but it does use center lugs and it does sound different and good and is old.

You might consider repairing that area around the spurs with fiberglass. It would be just as strong as adding wood but thinner, plus the resin soaking into the shells existing wood should further reinforce it. I've used fiberglass to repair gaping holes in shells and it works well and is solid enough to redrill and place a new tom mount system over it.

Some older Slingerland drums did have a third re-ring in the center. Not sure on bass drums but deeper toms (16x16) sometimes did. The center rings seem common for MIJ sets.