Slingerland Stage band or Ludwig Clubdate......center lug drums

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, cymbal arm mount. It's the same mount Slingerland used for the floor tom legs
Thanks for confirming that. I had been searching for pics, never found exactly the same design. Most-likely I'll add some iNDE products to this resto-mod.

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the vintage single-center-lug players - I recall back in the 60s the long rods were subject to twisting out of shape, which led to tuning issues - was that an urban legend or if not, how did you guys avoid that problem?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Question for the vintage single-center-lug players - I recall back in the 60s the long rods were subject to twisting out of shape, which led to tuning issues - was that an urban legend or if not, how did you guys avoid that problem?
Hasn't been a problem for me. I don't think there is much to worry about from normal usage. Longer rods are going to be more sensitive to bumps and such in transit but if you haul them in cases (like you always should) that shouldn't be an issue either. Of course that's just me, I treat my stuff carefully, anything is possible, some people seemingly go out of their way to mistreat their instruments so anything can happen. reasonable care....shouldn't result in any issues.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might consider repairing that area around the spurs with fiberglass. It would be just as strong as adding wood but thinner, plus the resin soaking into the shells existing wood should further reinforce it. I've used fiberglass to repair gaping holes in shells and it works well and is solid enough to redrill and place a new tom mount system over it.

Some older Slingerland drums did have a third re-ring in the center. Not sure on bass drums but deeper toms (16x16) sometimes did. The center rings seem common for MIJ sets.
Thanks for the inffo.
Already started with glue and mahogany wood veneer and more glue. I already had the stuff. I could totally see fiberglass being good stuff for it too.
I'd really like the new spurs I install to stay put and be a little sturdier too, so a whole layer of veneer will be nice on it.

p.s. incredible kits pictured here. When my kit grows up, it wants to be just like them lol

Kenwood

Reaction score
I found these 60's Slings in an old barn along with a radio king bass drum and some beat up Japanese drums.
The center lugged 14” floor tom and 12" dbl lugged tom and a 59’ wmp radio king bass drum, were all painted purple. Only the 20" stage band bass drum escaped the purple paint job. All three silver sparkle drums were stamped Feb 66' inside, even though there is the obvious mis-match lug-wise.
I used citi-strip on the radio king bass but graffiti remover spray on the silver sparklers,
which have a pretty even ginger ale effect to all three.
In spite of only the two toms being covered in the purple paint since God knows how long.
I had to close in the resonant sides on everything save for the 12"
. these pics are from before completion.
bP1010039.jpg
attaent.jpg
bPa1010027 (2).JPG
P1010034.JPG

jmetatual

Reaction score
Kenwood, is that a maroon 'Shelbyville' badge on the bass drum?

Kenwood

Reaction score
Kenwood, is that a maroon 'Shelbyville' badge on the bass drum?
Hello Jmetatual Yes I think it is I will try and remember to have a look next time down the shop
edit I just zoomed in on the badge it is definitely maroon in color

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Kenwood, check the re-rings on the toms, if they are oak then the toms are Shelbyville also. Neat kit.