Slingerland Studio King 5x14 made in AR ????

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I had a friend stop by today with a 5x14 WMP Studio King snare drum. This is a new drum made in Conway, AR. I thought the snare looked and sounded very nice. It had cast hoops and standard Slingerland made in U.S.A. heads with a few spots of duct tape.

Is the shell a Keller? Made in Conway at the factory or what? I really do not know much about these drums.

Thanks,

Tanco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A pic would help. The cloudbadge should read Slingerland Conway. The studioking(ply)models are thin maple Keller shells with rounded edges. Gibson has them made in the former Baldwin plant. They are very expensive new. They are also hard to get since it's virtualy impossible for a drumshop to order Slingerland drums without Gibson guitars. Best thing is to find the conway kits that are dumped on Ebay by guitarshops.
Despite some stories about lesser quality than the Nashville era Slingerlands, the Conway's i saw were the same. I actualy bought a Conway kit at the Chicago show, can't wait till it arives..

McLOVIN

Reaction score
Tanco said:
A pic would help. The cloudbadge should read Slingerland Conway. The studioking(ply)models are thin maple Keller shells with rounded edges...
The snares actually aren't really thin at 10 plies. Toms up to 16" are 6-ply, with anything above 16" having 8 plies.

Carmine's Conway kit sounded pretty nice at Chicago last week.

mac

Tanco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
McLOVIN said:
Tanco said:
A pic would help. The cloudbadge should read Slingerland Conway. The studioking(ply)models are thin maple Keller shells with rounded edges...

The snares actually aren't really thin at 10 plies. Toms up to 16" are 6-ply, with anything above 16" having 8 plies.

Carmine's Conway kit sounded pretty nice at Chicago last week.
mac

Yeah i know the snares are 10 ply, still they look pretty thin to me compared to most wooden plydrums.
I agree that Carmine's drums sounded great, much bigger than they looked. Even with his crazy big dotted clear aquarian heads. He played this little Krupa style part and i coulden't believe how nice the snare sounded with a clear head.. The Conway's are nice drums.

mgy*cqd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shells are made by Keller, but to Slingerland's specifications, which are different from the "standard" Keller shells that can be purchased from distributors. They may still be working on shells leftover after the shutdown of the Nashville plant. In any event, the 10 ply is quite thin by comparison to the standard Keller shell and other manufacturer's 10-ply shells.

Latest posts