Slingerland Suggestion

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding heads to actually fit my 1979-80 Slingerlands - the various ones I tried seems just a tad too large for the rims. But I had no problem at all with REMO's. (My shells are in the round with great edges, btw.)

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wise choice and I'm glad you bought them as I was almost contemplating a run up to Greenfield tomorrow to snag those myself. Great Rock drums but also not far off from a Buddy Rich setup except for the 18" floor tom (which frankly makes more sense than the double 16's Buddy used). Someone looking for an 18" floor tom or a 24" bass drum to add to a kit would probably be willing to spend nearly $400 for either. I recently paid more than that for a 14x14, although that sized drum tends to be pricey and it happened to be in a wrap that was a perfect match to another Slingerland set I own.

You mentioned that this set has different spurs, what type are they? As far as the hoops,at some point in the mid/late 70s Slingerland stopped using matching inlays in the bass drum hoops and opted to use a chrome looking inlay for all finishes, so it looks like you have the right hoops.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well, I dropped the hammer and got the black kit. Needs some cleaning but all in all in really good shape. Original wrap, bass drum was never drilled for a mount, it has newer sturdy bass spurs. The only down side is the bass rims are torn up. They had just marked it down today to $350. So I also took my cash left over and got the snare that came with the kit as well as a yamaha snare stand for the rack tom. Here is the snare. https://www.musicgoround.com/product/greenfield-wi/40015-S000235526/used-slingerland-14x5-steel-snare-drum. Barely any pitting on any of the chrome. Sounds amazing. These drums just ring and ring and they are so warm and full. Any suggestions for bass drum heads? The guy at the store was recommending a Powerstroke 2 or 3 and a fiberskyn for the front. He said do that with no muffling and port and it will boom. This is my first 24” bass. Not bad for a total of $498. The owner of the store said the kit sat forever because no one knows what it is. He almost jumped on it twice but has no room. I’m stoked! Thanks for all your input.
Congrats on your latest grab BEB!
You can get the Fiberskyn head with the PS3 muffling ring installed.
I had one on my Ludwig when I first got it.
Fiberskyn's on bass drums are matches made in heavens.
As for toms and snare, I like a little flexibility in the heads, so I tend to go with medium weight single ply's and lightly tape muffling rings to the batters, if I need a drier sound.
Use whatever head you want on the batter, but on the resonant side, try a coated thin weight head, like a Diplomat.
Will leave the drum a little drier and give you a bigger sound.
Good luck with that kit. KO's right, you made a good choice.

Elvis

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! That sounds awesome. The chrome on the snare is beautiful. Good call.
I'm currently playing a 14x24 Slinglerland bass drum. I love it. Going to buy some new heads soon, I think.
I love a clear PS3 batter on a 24" but I'm not sure about the reso. Ive had various fiberskyn reso heads on bass drums and Im starting to think that they're not ideal. There's something about the sound that I haven't been able to figure out that isn't optimal. I know, pretty vague, but I'll report back after some experimenting. I think my first experiment with be a plain old Coated Ambassador. I have a lot a felt laying around so I can play with different width strips as well.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the Aquarian SK I with the matched Regulator on the reso side would sound terrific, and there's a high likelihood that you'll be able to play it wide open without two much boom or push-back from a nightclub sound man.

BEBdrummer

Reaction score
So I got called out this weekend to fill in on drums for a buddies band. Took the kit out and they were amazing and loud. The band before had a drummer playing a DW custom kit that he spent a wad of cash on. He was a great drummer but he also really appreciated the sound of the Slingys. He could not believe the crack and loudness is the snare. My band also played the show and my band mates said it’s the best sounding kit they’ve heard live. Here’s some photos of them set up. I’ve got a PS III clear on order and an Evans Calf as well for the reso. The kit has pinstripes on it which aren’t my favorite but they are barely touched. I’m gonna eventually try to figure out some new heads for the toms.

Attachments