Slingerland TDR COB Difference?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the TDR's from the 70's?

I got a 14x6.5 in great condition for $230,it's the Buddy Rich model is what I was told.

So the question is, what is the difference between the Gene Krupa and the Buddy Rich model?

Only thing I can notice is the Spitfire Throw-off and the 3 vent holes on the Buddy one.

Anyone know why there's difference? It seems the Krupa model got the short end of the hardware (drum)stick or not?

Attachments

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's all marketing, always has been, always will be. By this time, Krupa had passed away (1973) and it makes total sense to highlight their main endorser even more than usual. The TDR strainer was a big deal, especially with marching snares, and school sales drove so much of the marketing, so why not capitalize?

I don't think there was any difference in shells or lugs.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TDR strainer is a great design. I owned a 6 x 14 Buddy Rich 5 ply snare and I was so impressed with how smooth the strainer operated , especially after 40 plus years.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
The screws that go into the bar that holds the snare straps can strip pretty easily.
[/QUOTE

I’m not a fan of over tightening the snare wires as it is. With some TLC and proper use, gear will last almost forever.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
The TDR strainer is a great design. I owned a 6 x 14 Buddy Rich 5 ply snare and I was so impressed with how smooth the strainer operated , especially after 40 plus years.
Wow, that sounds really nice. Anything under 6-plies and I’m sold:).

jmetatual

Reaction score
Aaronjiski, what is the serial number of your drum? The hoops on the drum you have pictured appear to be non-original.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Aaronjiski, what is the serial number of your drum? The hoops on the drum you have pictured appear to be non-original.
The top hoop wasn't original, I didn't mind it since the price was so great. I actually re-placed the top hoop with a Jim Keltner style hoop anyways. It's a Die-Cast hoop shaved down. Meaning that you get the focused sound of the Die-cast but it opens up the drums since there is less weight. The hoop actually sits almost flush with the bearing edge so rim shots are out of the question but you get all that tonal juicy-ness like Keltner is known for.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know which 6.5" COB one I have as the throw off on it is a Pearl....yikes! The guy I bought it from got it from his friend....the story is that some solo "drum maker" in Santa Cruz added a Pearl throw and "did something" with the bearing edges (they look normal to me)........not sure if anyone's ever heard of him - Johnny Craviotto? The snare sounds fabulous and has his old school sticker inside so I'm a believer, but I am curious myself which throw it had.....
I guess I can count the extra holes if any. Mine has a muffler, S-hoops and chrome is in near perfect shape (unlike my vintage Ludwigs) and all heads fit (unlike my vintage Gretsches).....

jmetatual

Reaction score
The top hoop wasn't original, I didn't mind it since the price was so great. I actually re-placed the top hoop with a Jim Keltner style hoop anyways. It's a Die-Cast hoop shaved down. Meaning that you get the focused sound of the Die-cast but it opens up the drums since there is less weight. The hoop actually sits almost flush with the bearing edge so rim shots are out of the question but you get all that tonal juicy-ness like Keltner is known for.
Serial 496531 is early 80's, so not a Buddy Rich model. Also, the Krupa name was no longer in use.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Serial 496531 is early 80's, so not a Buddy Rich model. Also, the Krupa name was no longer in use.
Well the badge was used 1973-1986. Buddy Rich died 1987,so still having his name on it makes sense.
The serial dates it closer to 1979 and other feeds and forums have all referred to this as the Buddy Rich model with 3 vent holes.
There was a Spitfire model with 12 lugs and also the Spitfire throw.
The Gene Krupa model had 1 vent hole and like stated earlier came with the Zoomatic(aka Crapmatic) strainer.
They went from the Radio King models and switched to Sound King because the radio was becoming old and dated so Slingerland wanted to keep up with current times and renamed the line the Sound King.
That's what I could find about it, I might be wrong.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Well the badge was used 1973-1986. Buddy Rich died 1987,so still having his name on it makes sense.
The serial dates it closer to 1979 and other feeds and forums have all referred to this as the Buddy Rich model with 3 vent holes.
Buddy Rich's last endorsement deal with Slingerland was '68 - '78. After '78 Slingerland did not use the Buddy Rich name to designate snare or kit models. Yes, the badge you have was used '73 - '86 but in '79 the gloss black background changed to more of a matte finish. Yours appears in the photos to be the '79 - '86 matte black badge. Serial #496xxx is expected for later '80 to early '81 on reputable timelines. Unless your badge has been tampered with your drum is no earlier than '79 and thus technically not a Buddy Rich model. In the '79 catalog this snare is named the "TDR" model, and there is nothing wrong with that, still a fine drum.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Buddy Rich's last endorsement deal with Slingerland was '68 - '78. After '78 Slingerland did not use the Buddy Rich name to designate snare or kit models. Yes, the badge you have was used '73 - '86 but in '79 the gloss black background changed to more of a matte finish. Yours appears in the photos to be the '79 - '86 matte black badge. Serial #496xxx is expected for later '80 to early '81 on reputable timelines. Unless your badge has been tampered with your drum is no earlier than '79 and thus technically not a Buddy Rich model. In the '79 catalog this snare is named the "TDR" model, and there is nothing wrong with that, still a fine drum.
I did not know that. That’s interesting though, same drum just one year apart, it was a BR and now a TDR. If they didn’t change anything on the design it “technically” would still be a BR model. This was also around the time Slingerlands quality went kinda out the window.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked mine - it has the 3 points for a tombstone throw (unless the TDR has that setup), and the butt is the Krupa style with the lower bar (ie: original) so just the throw was changed out......so I'd say it's a G.K....

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I checked mine - it has the 3 points for a tombstone throw (unless the TDR has that setup), and the butt is the Krupa style with the lower bar (ie: original) so just the throw was changed out......so I'd say it's a G.K....
It has 2 holes for the spitfire. No extra holes.
Strange..

jmetatual

Reaction score
I did not know that. That’s interesting though, same drum just one year apart, it was a BR and now a TDR. If they didn’t change anything on the design it “technically” would still be a BR model.
LOL, it doesn't work that way. Yes, one year makes a difference and yours is likely two years away. It's your drum and you can call it anything you like. "Just like the '78 Buddy Rich model" would be appropriate.

covinasurf

Reaction score
LOL, it doesn't work that way. Yes, one year makes a difference and yours is likely two years away. It's your drum and you can call it anything you like. "Just like the '78 Buddy Rich model" would be appropriate.
Can you tell me where you got the serial number dating? I’ve been trying to get a little closer estimate on mine.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Can you tell me where you got the serial number dating? I’ve been trying to get a little closer estimate on mine.