Slingerland TDR COB Difference?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I checked mine - it has the 3 points for a tombstone throw (unless the TDR has that setup), and the butt is the Krupa style with the lower bar (ie: original) so just the throw was changed out......so I'd say it's a G.K....
It’s a Buddy Rich, or shall I say,” it’s like the Buddy Rich model”. Lol
They came with 2 screws only for the throw and the butt plate. I actually just purchased a shell today on EBay. So I have 2 with minor dents and scratches. These are hard to come by without major damage, so I’m glad I found these. I’m going to restore it with time -period correct hardware. I loooove these drums.

Attachments

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I checked mine - it has the 3 points for a tombstone throw (unless the TDR has that setup), and the butt is the Krupa style with the lower bar (ie: original) so just the throw was changed out......so I'd say it's a G.K....
Don’t sell that drum :).

Mayan

Reaction score
The TDR throw and butt plate both have 2 holes and could be switched right? In other words, I just noticed that one of my 3 Spitfires has the tone control knob between the butt plate and badge, rather than between the throw and badge, like all the others I’ve seen. Maybe this was a mistake in the factory? Or more likely if the two pieces of hardware are interchangeable on the shell, that a previous owner removed them and replaced them incorrectly? They ARE interchangeable right? Same two holes in the shell drilled for both throw and butt plate? Attached is the drum and you can see the placements.

Edit: Yes indeed I have replaced those snares with the extended ones that belong.

Attachments

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
The TDR throw and butt plate both have 2 holes and could be switched right? In other words, I just noticed that one of my 3 Spitfires has the tone control knob between the butt plate and badge, rather than between the throw and badge, like all the others I’ve seen. Maybe this was a mistake in the factory? Or more likely if the two pieces of hardware are interchangeable on the shell, that a previous owner removed them and replaced them incorrectly? They ARE interchangeable right? Same two holes in the shell drilled for both throw and butt plate? Attached is the drum and you can see the placements.

Edit: Yes indeed I have replaced those snares with the extended ones that belong.
It is very possible it was switched around. The butt-plate and throw both have a back plate so I don't see why you couldn't do that since they have the same hole spacing. If it doesn't sound weird than there's no harm.

I have noticed some butt-plates that have holes for snare wire attachment and some that just come as a plate with no screws, I'm guessing those are for marching snares.
As I am trying to restore one this is kinda confusing. Are the butt-plates that handle modern stock snares modified?

Nice condition on the snare you got by the way!

Mayan

Reaction score
Thanks I love the drum and it sounds really great.

I also own a 10 lug 5-ply Niles snare from the 80s with a slapshot strainer. The butt plate looks almost identical to the TDR butt plate, but it doesn’t have the little cross bar with screws that tighten to squeeze the ribbon that pulls the snares tight. Instead the extended snares attach directly to the butt plate themselves with screws at the bottom, no ribbon used. Maybe you are finding some butt plates that are for the TDR and others for the slapshot?

The slapshot strainer I have works fine, but I think they all break eventually.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Thanks I love the drum and it sounds really great.

I also own a 10 lug 5-ply Niles snare from the 80s with a slapshot strainer. The butt plate looks almost identical to the TDR butt plate, but it doesn’t have the little cross bar with screws that tighten to squeeze the ribbon that pulls the snares tight. Instead the extended snares attach directly to the butt plate themselves with screws at the bottom, no ribbon used. Maybe you are finding some butt plates that are for the TDR and others for the slapshot?

The slapshot strainer I have works fine, but I think they all break eventually.
This is what I mean. One has a bracket for modern wires, what's the other one?

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TDR strainer and butt have the same hole spacing as the slap shot and rapid (and Ludwig p-85, p-83 etc.).
Very possible a TDR strainer and butt were flip flopped during a cleanup.