Slingerland TDR snares

pete2016

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a question regarding Slingerland’s Model 190 wood tdr snare. Were these nice sounding snares? I know they were 5 ply, were they m-p-p-p-m? Was this rogers dyna and fibes cof rival?

There is not much info other than referred as the BR snare which he used only for a short time.

Any owner or anyone who have played one have some input?

Thanks

pete2016

Reaction score
I found out that these are m-p-m-p- mah or maple. Are the bearing edges 45 degree? Any info on the snare beds?

drumsforme

Reaction score
!978 Slingerland TDR Snare. Has 10 lugs, Two Air Vents, 5 Ply Maple/poplar, Best to use Gibraltar SC4467L Wires which are !6" in length. Snare is very sensitive...great for brushwork.

pete2016

Reaction score
beautiful drums mulijid.

I sort of converted my Hollywood ace as a hybrid of sort, I changed the rapid strainer (i really don't like it) and put a TDR strainer and on the butt plate I used the one in some of the 70s Slingerland and Leedy snares that have a bridge (no drilling necessary, holes matched perfectly). The same concept as the symphonic basically. I went to take a look at how that mechanism works. The way it tension the snares is by pulling the snares up. Vs. my the WFL, SFT and even the clam shell which maitains the snares with a set tension without pulling against the snare head. I wonder how much of an impact this might have with regards to the sound. The Dyna you can set the tension on the snares w/ot pulling them against the snare head, you just adjust the height of the bridge with the strainer's knob. The same with Gretsch's microsensitive strainer and butt plate. The strainer adjust the snares tension and the butt plate adjusts the height of the snares. the only draw back is that it uses regular snares not one that runs through the entire snare head. I wonder why Slingerland did not go that route with separate mechanisms.

Which makes me wonder, perhaps that was the reason BR went back to the COF??? I really like the SFT system the only flaw is that you are stuck with a set height for the snares (3 positions). I've seen SFT butt plates that have a groove so that you can adjust the height by tightening the screw?

Other questions is, how are the snare beds on the TDR snares? do they have snare beds? shallow? My SFT snare have shallow snare beds, the RK have snare beds as well as my Symphonic. My Rogers PT have very shallow snare beds and it is very sensitive.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very shallow snare beds. The drum is a great sounding instrument. If I have the cash next time I see one for sale Im going to buy it.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope this link works, it's Ken loomer playing his buddy rich 5 ply TDR snare. I wish I had one of these, I'm a real slingerland fanatic, particularly the snares.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope this link works, it's Ken loomer playing his buddy rich 5 ply TDR snare. I wish I had one of these, I'm a real slingerland fanatic, particularly the snares.
I wonder which cymbals those are? The drums sound great, but those cymbals are delicious.

GeeDeeEmm

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone asks him that, on there, they are 70s zildjian medium ride the crashes I'm not sure but may be also. I was liking the cymbals as well I would like one of those 70s rides.