Slingerland zoomatic throw replacement

scottcyp

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to change out the throw and butt plate the slingerland zoomatic. I did a search but didn’t find anything recent. Will the INDE throw work for this? I also saw on eBay someone sells a modification for the trick throw but I don’t know if I want to invest 30 then another 85 and still need a butt plate. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the domino + Trick on my 70s Sound King. I have had zoomatics that worked, and still hated them. I know there are people who swear by them . . . but counterintuitive AND fragile is not my cup o' tea.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to change out the throw and butt plate the slingerland zoomatic. I did a search but didn’t find anything recent. Will the INDE throw work for this? I also saw on eBay someone sells a modification for the trick throw but I don’t know if I want to invest 30 then another 85 and still need a butt plate. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
What exactly is wrong with your Zoomatic? There are no replacements that make use of the existing holes. You have three options... using the adapter plate with Trick throw-off, drill for a throw of your choice or repair your Zoomatic.

I've repaired quite a few Zoomatics and each continues to function better than new. Attached are pictures of the last one I repaired, which was for a first-generation COB Krupa Sound King snare drum.

There is a gum rubber washer between the knob and "tombstone" faceplate that, over time, usually dries out and disentegrates. In the first picture, you can see that I'm replacing it with a small black fiber washer.

The next issue is that the knob usually pulls off. This happened to mine as I was cleaning the drum! Since the splines were good, I tried JB Weld to put the knob back on. Didn't hold! My solution was to drill and tap a small hole in the knob to accept a 6-32 Allen socket screw. Worked perfectly! You can also see a small spring that I installed between the shell and strainer to eliminate play.

Yes, you do need some mechanical skills, but was not too difficult to repair!

-Mark

Attachments

scottcyp

Reaction score
What exactly is wrong with your Zoomatic? There are no replacements that make use of the existing holes. You have three options... using the adapter plate with Trick throw-off, drill for a throw of your choice or repair your Zoomatic.

I've repaired quite a few Zoomatics and each continues to function better than new. Attached are pictures of the last one I repaired, which was for a first-generation COB Krupa Sound King snare drum.

There is a gum rubber washer between the knob and "tombstone" faceplate that, over time, usually dries out and disentegrates. In the first picture, you can see that I'm replacing it with a small black fiber washer.

The next issue is that the knob usually pulls off. This happened to mine as I was cleaning the drum! Since the splines were good, I tried JB Weld to put the knob back on. Didn't hold! My solution was to drill and tap a small hole in the knob to accept a 6-32 Allen socket screw. Worked perfectly! You can also see a small spring that I installed between the shell and strainer to eliminate play.

Yes, you do need some mechanical skills, but was not too difficult to repair!

-Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for the response. I have no zoomatic, I have the shell and no zoomatic just 3 lonely holes.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the response. I have no zoomatic, I have the shell and no zoomatic just 3 lonely holes.
So, looks like your choices are the adapter or drill for another throw. Does your shell have the round-over edges or 45 degree edges? Can you post pictures?

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an extra Zoomatic throw. Isn't the butt just a basic one?
Here are pictures of the butt used with the Zoomatic throw. It was designed by Leedy and Slingerland decided to use it when they purchased Leedy. I'm not sure if Slingerland's standard offerings fit. They came in two different lengths and I never measured to see if either will fit the Sound King hole spacing.

-Mark

Attachments

scottcyp

Reaction score
So, looks like your choices are the adapter or drill for another throw. Does your shell have the round-over edges or 45 degree edges? Can you post pictures?

-Mark
Hey Mark, yes sir. Looks like round over to me.

Attachments

scottcyp

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the butt used with the Zoomatic throw. It was designed by Leedy and Slingerland decided to use it when they purchased Leedy. I'm not sure if Slingerland's standard offerings fit. They came in two different lengths and I never measured to see if either will fit the Sound King hole spacing.

-Mark
If I remember the butt was 2-1/2" c2c

scottcyp

Reaction score
I really love the 60'a and very early 70's Sound King drums with the round-over edges! As to the butt, I believe that Slingerland had both a 1-7/8" and 2.5", but I'd have to check on that.

Mark
I’ll probably bite the bullet and do the trick throw off and an indW adjustable Butt. I paid 2.00 for the shell

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
You could make a nice adapter plate with short trip to home depot or hardware store and just a few minutes of work.
Get a piece of plex about 1/8" inch thick and cut it just large enough to cover the zoomatic holes and the holes for the strainer you want to use. Get 3 plastic or metal spaces... usually in the plumbing dept. They're usually 1/3 to1/2" long. Get three machine screws and bolt the plate to the shell with the spacers in between.
Attach the new strainer. Voila!

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
You could make a nice adapter plate with short trip to home depot or hardware store and just a few minutes of work.
Get a piece of plex about 1/8" inch thick and cut it just large enough to cover the zoomatic holes and the holes for the strainer you want to use. Get 3 plastic or metal spaces... usually in the plumbing dept. They're usually 1/3 to1/2" long. Get three machine screws and bolt the plate to the shell with the spacers in between.
Attach the new strainer. Voila!
Yep, adapter plates are not hard to make...

Latest posts