Slingy Snare Drum Builds From Ebay NOS Shells

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Just purchased this shell on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...3#ht_1780wt_907

The spec's say the lug hole spacing is 2 5/16ths. Are any other lugs interchangeable with Slingerland lugs? I want to customize this shell and I don't want to use slingy lugs. I never liked slingy lugs. Too close in appearance to all the cheap Jap stuff from back in the day. Any suggestions?

John

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
hmmmm. thats like three snare drums in less than 2 weeks. we gotta talk!!! :blackeye: :smile:

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Mike - It's just practical, basic business; when the market is active - sell, when the market is slow and prices are down - time to buy. A lot of this is just common sense, I didn't have to go to business school for four years just to learn: 'Buy low, sell high.' I get it! LOL

Besides, two of the last (four) I bought in the last couple of weeks are keepers. One for my clubbies and one for my Camco's. The other two (this brass one and the little steel one) are for flipping/income.

John

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
man, i forgot about the camco...

well done.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
It's on the way. Should be here in a week. I already have the precut red glass wrap waiting for it. Now I have to call Precision and get another piece of wrap to do the 12" x 15" Chanute Camco floor tom I got to complete the kit. Lots of drum projects ahead. Six by my count. I'll be a happy, busy camper for awhile. Look for lots of posts from me! I'll do a little thread for each drum as I restore them. I'm psyched and very excited to dig into the pile drum by gorgeous drum. Big Fun up ahead for me buddy! I'm happiest when I'm 'drum-busy.'

John

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's on the way. Should be here in a week. I already have the precut red glass wrap waiting for it. Now I have to call Precision and get another piece of wrap to do the 12" x 15" Chanute Camco floor tom I got to complete the kit. Lots of drum projects ahead. Six by my count. I'll be a happy, busy camper for awhile. Look for lots of posts from me! I'll do a little thread for each drum as I restore them. I'm psyched and very excited to dig into the pile drum by gorgeous drum. Big Fun up ahead for me buddy! I'm happiest when I'm 'drum-busy.'

John
Yep!!! lots of projects!!!! :notworthy:

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I'm thinking of leaving the patina that is already on the deep-dish brass shell, as opposed to polishing it up real clean and bright. What do you think? It's a cool shell.

Does anybody know the procedure/technique for hammering a metal snare drum shell? I imagine there is an art to it, like cymbal making.

John

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never liked slingy lugs. Too close in appearance to all the cheap Jap stuff from back in the day.

John
To be fair John it was the Asian drum makers that copied the Slingerland lug, not the other way around.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :icon_smile:

Cool shell....lots of potential there.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
john

i think the patina idea on the brass shell would be right on....do it man.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. That patina that has formed on the surface over the years gives the drum some cool mojo right out of the box. I think I'll go with tube lugs on it to give it a vintage vibe. Maybe even single flange hoops with clips on em. Go completely 20's with it. It'll be a fun drum to bring to life. Love the old-fashioned 'crimped' snare beds.

John

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
john

i think the patina idea on the brass shell would be right on....do it man.

mike
John I agree with mike the patina is very cool looking, but like K.O I love the soundking lugs, they have that old 50's train look to them. hey beauty in the eye of the beholder, the tube lugs and clips and flange rims would look great to.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe that the older style Slingerland double ended beavertails would fit the same holes as the Sound King lugs. If someone is repro-ing those like they are the tom lugs that could be a neat option. It could be done up like one of the old metal radio kings....hmmm? maybe I should snag one of those shells.

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never liked slingy lugs. Too close in appearance to all the cheap Jap stuff from back in the day. John
Virtually every cheap Asian crap drum back in the 60's copied the Slingerland lug, which had been around since 1950 or so. What were they thinking--that people were dumb enough to mistake them for the real thing?

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
I'm going to take a second look at both slingy lugs; the Beavertails and the Sound Kings. I'll decide after I see what, if anything, is available and for how much. I was planning on using as much of my 'on-hand' components as I could without sinking too much more $ into the drum. Let me check them out again and I'll get back to you.

John

PS - K.O., Ron, I worded my comment all wrong. What I meant was... the slingy lugs had been copied so much by the Japs that it cheapened the originals (in my eyes.) Nothing wrong with vintage slingy lugs in and of themselves. It -is- a nice design.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
I decided to go with 8 Beavertail repro lugs from Drumfactorydirect:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_9_66&products_id=2314

They're going to look killer on the shell. Clean, bought, paid for and on the way!

John

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
I decided to go with 8 Beavertail repro lugs from Drumfactorydirect:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_9_66&products_id=2314

They're going to look killer on the shell. Clean, bought, paid for and on the way!

John
John, this will look killer with these lugs!! :icon_smile:

Latest posts