Slingy Snare Drum Builds From Ebay NOS Shells

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Man, I hope you can get it straightened out, in the end it'll be like getting two drums for the price of one. Not a bad deal.

John

tgregorek

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK I just figured this out. I got one of the 13" shells from this guy. These aren't snare shells they are timbale shells. They are drilled for the small tom lug. I'm going to redrill mine for the Slingerland snare lug the old holes will be covered up by the new lug. I'm going to put a zoomatic on mine mostly because that's what I have laying around. I'm ordering a generic bottom hoop, I'll never find a 13" vintage hoop. Mine looks like copper instead of brass I'm going to try and polish mine.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK I just figured this out. I got one of the 13" shells from this guy. These aren't snare shells they are timbale shells. They are drilled for the small tom lug. I'm going to redrill mine for the Slingerland snare lug the old holes will be covered up by the new lug. I'm going to put a zoomatic on mine mostly because that's what I have laying around. I'm ordering a generic bottom hoop, I'll never find a 13" vintage hoop. Mine looks like copper instead of brass I'm going to try and polish mine.
www.drumfactorydirect.com

have 13" 8 hole Sticksaver and 13" Single Flange Snare side hoops.

Mick

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Add me to the list guys, just bought Matt (jazzdrummer)'s shell from the Classifieds here. One of the 5" models undrilled with no beds. Now I have to decide what to put on it. Thinking about tube lugs...

MichaelWray

Reaction score
I got around to taking pictures. Not completely finished but I'm closing in on it.

I'll probably change the rims to repro StickSavers and I also have to replace
the badge grommet with a correct Slingerland type. I used a Ludwig B/O chrome grommet
and the outer collar is not big enough to cover the area surrounding the badge
center hole correctly.

The Beavertail lugs, gaskets and 2-1/4" t-rods are drumfactory.com. The 3-point
strainer and butt are from drumsandsome.com and the finish/fit are outstanding.
I considered using a vintage Zoomatic but decided it wasn't worth the potential
hassle.

The badge is a '56-'59 Chicago and the muffler is an early '60s Sound King.

The batter head is a Remo Vintage A, reso is a Remo Ambassador hazy and
snare wires are WM German 20 strand. I was going to order Puresounds but
these sound so good that I may just leave them on for the time being.

This thing is seriously vintage in appearance and has an incredible sound.

I haven't added up the total cost but it's sure to come in lower than ANY new
snare of this caliber. These things are an real bargain.

Thanks again to Purdie Shuffle/John - this project was easy because of your input.

Cheers.

MW

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got around to taking pictures. Not really finished but I'm closing in on it.
Probably the only things I'll change are the rims - to repro StickSavers.

Beavertail lugs, gaskets and t-rods are drumfactory.com, strainer and butt are
from drumsandsuch,com

snare wires are WM German 20 strand.

This thing has serious vintage appearance and an incredible sound.

Thanks again to Purdie Shuffle/John - this project was easy because of your input.

Cheers.

MW
Man! That is pretty! I hope my shell is as nice.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Michael Wray,

That drum is stunning! Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to pick up one of those shells.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
On the job last night....

This thing is loud...but I liked it.

teenagebrain

Reaction score
I got around to taking pictures. Not completely finished but I'm closing in on it.

I'll probably change the rims to repro StickSavers and I also have to replace
the badge grommet with a correct Slingerland type. I used a Ludwig B/O chrome grommet
and the outer collar is not big enough to cover the area surrounding the badge
center hole correctly.

The Beavertail lugs, gaskets and 2-1/4" t-rods are drumfactory.com. The 3-point
strainer and butt are from drumsandsome.com and the finish/fit are outstanding.
I considered using a vintage Zoomatic but decided it wasn't worth the potential
hassle.

snare wires are WM German 20 strand. I was going to order Puresounds but
these sound so good that I may just leave them on for the time being.

This thing is seriously vintage in appearance and has an incredible sound.

I haven't added up the total cost but it's sure to come in lower than ANY new
snare of this caliber. These things are an real bargain.

Cheers.

MW

Hey MW,
What do you think of the 3-point throw-off??? I have a snare that takes that throw(same hole pattern),and i'm considering buying one...however i really want it to work well!Would love to get your imput...
Cheers...

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to decide which snare to use at my gig tomorrow--so I went through all 20 of my snare drums, trying real hard to be objective.

The one I chose--my Slingerwig. (Will report back later.)

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Wow! What a beautiful group of drums has come out of this. Mine is sitting with my kit, I play it everyday. It's like getting a time-capsule vintage brass snare drum on the cheap. I'm loving mine and I hope everybody enjoys theirs. These are some wonderful shells and we all did good by saving them and turning them into killer snare drums.

Great work everyone! It'd be nice to get everybody and the new drums we built into one big drum circle! I'd love to see, hear and play each and every one of them.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
> [font="tahoma][size="2"]Thanks again to Purdie Shuffle/John - this project was easy because of your input.
[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Michael, so far, out of all the drums made, yours is about as close to what an original would have been as any of us have attained with our drums. The badge, the tone control, all add the look of an genuine original. More than any of the others, yours will be the hardest to tell apart from the 'real thing.' Excellent job everyone![/size][/font]

[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Jeremy, you're next, bro. Photos when it's done![/size][/font]

[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]John[/size][/font]

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
3 days until my shell arrives! Day before yesterday, I set up the Gene Krupa Soundking I was going to rob for parts for my new shell. That drum sounds too good to scrap the shell. So...I have been looking for parts and lo and behold! I found 8 modern Slingy lugs and a top COB sticksaver and a steel snare side stick saver and most of a zoomatic at a low enough price that I can sell the Sound King and keep it intact and still complete my new drum. That is if anyone has mounting parts for a Slingy Zoomatic. Seems like a more responsible approach.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used my new drum at a large outdoor gig before the fireworks on Monday night. Although I really like the way this drum sounds at home and at band practice, I wasn't happy with how it sounded at the gig. It sounded thin and lifeless. I wish I could have heard it out front.

I'm guessing it was because of what I was hearing through the monitor rather than the drum itself. Or it just might have been been the setting. (I didn't have time to try another snare, either.)

I played it again last night at band practice and loved it.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Tom - Bummer! But you know how the sound of drums can change with environment. Give it another chance in a different setting and then judge. You said it sounded good at rehearsals...

John

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Used my new drum at a large outdoor gig before the fireworks on Monday night. Although I really like the way this drum sounds at home and at band practice, I wasn't happy with how it sounded at the gig. It sounded thin and lifeless. I wish I could have heard it out front.

I'm guessing it was because of what I was hearing through the monitor rather than the drum itself. Or it just might have been been the setting. (I didn't have time to try another snare, either.)

I played it again last night at band practice and loved it.
Chances are Tom,it sounded great out front. A good drum that sounds good always sounds good :occasion5:

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a long, long, long, long thread.... I was going to comment/reply on to several of you but I forgot who, and I ain't going back through all of this!!!

I've had this shell on my watch list for a very long time. The seller does sell NOS surplus acquired from Savannah or from someone else that acquired Gretsch/Slingerland leftovers One of the most famous (or infamous) being the vintage 42 strand Gretsch wires that are really for a 15" drum. I know a lot were sold. I considered buying all 150 of these back in 2003 from a guy named Tom in hopes I could resell at a profit, but decided against as they were not truly for a 14" drum.... He had two of these shells still listed this morning: one for $99 BIN and one for $95 BIN (last one!). This thread pushed me over the edge (how did I miss it for so long? I just found/read it this morning!) and I sprang for the $99 hoping it is cosmetically better than the other. Dunno what the diff is as the descriptions are exactly the same. Exactly the same!

I'll try to keep up with all you drum junkys and do the forum proud. Is there a thread for the finished product yet? Can't look now as I'm due at work shortly. LOTS of great ideas here!

Oh, and did I mention that this thread is long?

Latest posts