Slingy Snare Drum Builds From Ebay NOS Shells

tgregorek

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK I got one of the 13" shells. I got brave and took Tarnex toView attachment 105849 it. It's solid copper! I've almost got all the parts I need to put it together. I'm putting up a picture of the cleaned shell.

lytton_springs

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick update, I got my replacement 5 x 14 shell yesterday and it looks fine, perfectly in round. On a whim I stopped by A Drummer's Tradition and showed it to Robert Bowler the owner. He happened to have a chrome over brass 70s Slingerland snare, so we were able to compare the shells. The conclusion was that the grooves in the shells were quite different and he didn't think that it was a Slingerland shell. Doesn't really matter of course, just thought you'd like to know. I'm still going to build a killer snare with it! Also, this shell appears to be copper, perhaps bronze, but certainly not brass.

Michael

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 6.5x14 came today! Perfectly round and undamaged. The lines on this shell are the same as on my Krupa Soundking. I took some steel woll to a small patch on the inside and this is definitely a brass shell. My hardware is on it's way. I've been looking at Mountainhicks brass drum resto in a different thread, and am kinda liking the patina he used. What do you guys think? Enough patina already? Leave it alone? Shine it up? I'll be using Soundking hardware.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Edit to my previous post. I was just looking at the box the drum came in, and it says,in old stamped black ink;
"SLINGERLAND
PART NO> 90614488
6 1/2x14 BRONZE SHELL"
!!!!!!! Below that it says WITI
Above that in marker is 8 hole.
It sure looked like brass where I buffed it, but what do I know?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, hopefully everyone gets theirs in safe and sound because they're GONE NOW!! Were two this am. Glad I sprung when I did....

tgregorek

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to drill mine tomorrow, I have the lugs, Zoomatic with butt plate, top Slingerland hoop, Muffler. I need a bottom snare hoop and like I've said before I don't think I'll ever find a Slingerland 13" bottom hoop I can afford so I'm going to order a generic one, and a 13" set of wires for it.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Edit to my previous post. I was just looking at the box the drum came in, and it says,in old stamped black ink;
"SLINGERLAND
PART NO> 90614488
6 1/2x14 BRONZE SHELL"
Ha! I knew mine was bronze! No matter now though, I have mine up for sale in the 4 sale section. I'm trying to raise a chunk of cash to lay on my daughter-in-law to help them out while my son is recovering from his accident. If anybody missed out on these, buy mine!

John

PS - No, I -don't want to sell it- I have to...

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
"SLINGERLAND
PART NO> 90614488
6 1/2x14 BRONZE SHELL"
Ha! I knew mine was bronze! No matter now though, I have mine up for sale in the 4 sale section. I'm trying to raise a chunk of cash to lay on my daughter-in-law to help them out while my son is recovering from his accident. If anybody missed out on these, buy mine!

John

PS - No, I -don't want to sell it- I have to...
Was JUST going to comment on yours being for sale. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you sell it and can help with the bills....!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw your ad John. Such a shame that events demand you to sell those drums (that hammered Bronze would be very tempting if you were offering them separately...although I already have too many snares).

Interesting about the info on atomicmorganic's box. One of the big questions about these was the provenance as to if they were really what the seller said they were. His info seemed sketchy at best and he didn't offer much to back up his claim. If he had included that information from the box, and perhaps a picture of the stamp, he could probably have moved these out twice as fast while charging 50% more for them.

I'm enjoying mine a lot. Very glad I built it. Still doing some fine tuning. I found a RK era muffler in my parts drawer...so that might find it's way into my drum...although I seldom use internal mufflers.

kevinnorris

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my shell completed.
I went for a "Deep Dish Student Radio King" configuration from the late '50s.
All parts are Slingerland except the belly clips from DrumFactory.

She sounds great with Puresound Pros and Ambassadors top and bottom.
Hecku throaty sweet spot in the middle and great overtones elsewhere.

Big thank-you to my good buddy VTM2000 for drilling the shell for the strainer and butt assembly!!
Also to Purdie for bringing these shells to our attention.

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score

Big thank-you to my good buddy VTM2000 in drilling for the strainer and butt assembly!!
Sweet. it really turned out awesome looking!!! :occasion5:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score

Big thank-you to my good buddy VTM2000 for drilling the shell for the strainer and butt assembly!!

kevin

wow. that one turned out great. in fact,they all turned ot great guys. i really like the hoops,clips and strainer that you chose. well done. keeping mark straight,are ya? :wink:

mike

kevinnorris

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
kevin
wow. that one turned out great. in fact,they all turned ot great guys. i really like the hoops,clips and strainer that you chose. well done. keeping mark straight,are ya? :wink:
mike
Thanks VTM, DWS45, and Mike...!!!

Hey Mike, I don't know who keeps who straight between VTM and myself... prolly a little of both, 'ya know ?? LOL
We've been talking about coming down for visit with you for a while now... maybe we hit the Double Door sometime?
Kev

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
kev

you guys come on! would love to see both of ya. mark had mentioned about meeting up in greenville sometime at palmetto drums. i'd enjoy that but it might be a while with the recent health events...

mike

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
kev

you guys come on! would love to see both of ya. mark had mentioned about meeting up in greenville sometime at palmetto drums. i'd enjoy that but it might be a while with the recent health events...

mike
Cool, we'll get the ball rolling on it !!
Kev
Absolutely, Mike you and myself have had life altering events as of late, now is a good time. we will make this happen very soon indeed.