Slingy Snare Drum Builds From Ebay NOS Shells

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
My wife knew it was bronze before I even suspected it. It has that dry, woody bronze tone. Brass just sounds different. I only became convinced after I got to play it, not because I knew the difference in appearance. Gotta hand it to my Bev, she really knows her stuff!

Enjoy your drum! Photos when it's finished.

John

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The seller of the Slingerland shells has really upped the price of the 6.5x14. It's now $155.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Brass-Drum-Shell-6-5x14-American-Made-1975-/130545971099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65256f9b#ht_1860wt_1165

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw that earlier in the process. He steadily went up before he "ran out" of shells listed. I thought he had sold out by his "View other items" link. I wonder if he is sifting through inventory and listing them as they are found....

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
No, he is realizing the true value of what he has because we're buying up his inventory like the house is on fire.

He sees there is money to be made... and he's making it!

Still a bargain at $155. for a 6.5x14 brass or bronze shell. Especially cheap for a bronze shell of that size. Buy until there ain't no more to buy!

John

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
This really makes you have to wonder how many COB Slingerlands from that period are actually COBronze?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
This really makes you have to wonder how many COB Slingerlands from that period are actually COBronze?
I read a quote from Bill Ludwig Jr. pertaining to when they switched the re-issued Black Beauty line to bronze shells for a time in the early 80's. I don't have the exact quote but in essence he said it was no big deal because nobody could possibly hear the difference between a bronze and brass shell. If that was the standard thinking on the production end at the time either company probably had the shells made from whichever alloy (copper/zinc = Brass or copper/tin= Bronze) they could get the best price on.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thing guys - the shell I bought here on the forum turned out to be TWISTED and wouldn't lay flat. Kevin_S has worked on it and thinks he's got it back in shape, but just be aware that not all of these are in the best shape to start with...

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
The seller might be reaching the end/last of his inventory, Jeremy. That drum would be the second one (that we know about) to be delivered in less than perfect condition.

John

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I read a quote from Bill Ludwig Jr. pertaining to when they switched the re-issued Black Beauty line to bronze shells for a time in the early 80's.
I believe my BB is from that period. Sounds great to me....

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Perhaps the chrome plating equalizes them, but you can tell the difference between bronze and brass shells that are non-plated.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those! Yarp, Bev was right on the money, she called it 'bronze' immediately. It took me awhile to be convinced, but she knew right out of the box.

It's a turn-on... I didn't know she knew so much about Heavy Metal!

John

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got my shell today.... It's a 10 lug! Not sure if that's good or bad though.

What do you all think?

Buhkatski

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Id love to see and hear videos of one of these drums...I was thinking of picking one up but got a BB instead. Still I find myself lusting over some of these builds you guys have posted here!

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 107176 Here is my completed drum. I went with what I thought the drum would have been had the factory built it. Mid 70s Sound King hardware. I did add Puresound 16 strands. Looks great, sounds good, but not on a par with my Ludwig brass drums. Fun project. Edit: I have been playing with the tuning on this and have followed Purdie Shuffles advice about really cranking the bottom heads. Viola! Now it is sounding VERY good. I was dissappointed at first, but now I am more enthusiastic!

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice! Here's mine. Still resting in the shipping box waiting for me to order parts.... I'm still deciding tube lugs vs beavertail. Think I'm leaning tubular as I don't have a tube lugged drum yet. I am concerned about the elongated bottom hole showing though.... I can't find 2 1/4" hole spacing tube lugs (or any others for that matter) anywhere yet. I have a new set of Noble and Cooley 10 lug die cast hoops I could use, but single flange sound interesting too....

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
View attachment 107176 Here is my completed drum. I went with what I thought the drum would have been had the factory built it. Mid 70s Sound King hardware. I did add Puresound 16 strands. Looks great, sounds good, but not on a par with my Ludwig brass drums. Fun project. Edit: I have been playing with the tuning on this and have followed Purdie Shuffles advice about really cranking the bottom heads. Viola! Now it is sounding VERY good. I was dissappointed at first, but now I am more enthusiastic!
Nicely done atomic, I went the same route except with the TDR strainer instead of the Zoomatic. I took pics last nite but forgot to bring my memory card with today so I'll post later.

Here is the only catalog picture I've seen using these shells. Its from the 1979 Slingerland catalog. They say brass, but who knows.