Slingy Snare Drum Builds From Ebay NOS Shells

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Here's mine. All the parts except the bottom hoop are from another 1970s Slingerland snare.
Nice! What throw off is that (I know little about Slingerland!)? Also, did you polish or clean the shell? The drum looks superb!
Thanks, that is the TDR strainer. It allows the wires to extend beyond the head on both ends. I originally used some wires from the 70s but then replaced them with 16 strand vintage puresounds Radio King Extended Length wires.

Yes, while most of the guys stayed with the patina I wanted a "new" look and cleaned the shell, 1st with Tarnex and then Brasso. I'm very pleased with the results.

The drum sounds fantastic. Good luck with your build.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Id love to see and hear videos of one of these drums...I was thinking of picking one up but got a BB instead. Still I find myself lusting over some of these builds you guys have posted here!
here's a brief video. Not the best way to judge the snare (recorded with a video camera 100 ft away and all you hear is the PA) but maybe gives a bit of an idea. That was the first (and so far only) time I've gigged with it...and I really liked it.

And I (we) owe it all to John (Purdie).

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
14x5 Brass(Bronze?) shell
Repro Badge, Grommet and 3 point strainer arrived today.

Still at work so will get a better look at the shell later but at first glance seems to be pretty much in the round and no snare beds. Few scrapes from being in a warehouse but should clean up ok.

Definitely a darker colour than I have seen compared to other brass shells (maybe it is bronze?).

Have 16 x Worldmax Clips already so will probably go with 8 x Beavertails and Single Flange hoops.
Would try Sticksaver hoops but don't know of a source for them in Europe.

Cheers
Mick

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Id love to see and hear videos of one of these drums...I was thinking of picking one up but got a BB instead. Still I find myself lusting over some of these builds you guys have posted here!
here's a brief video. Not the best way to judge the snare (recorded with a video camera 100 ft away and all you hear is the PA) but maybe gives a bit of an idea. That was the first (and so far only) time I've gigged with it...and I really liked it.

And I (we) owe it all to John (Purdie).
The snare sounds great! Congrats on a job well done.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old thread...bumping it up because someone was asking about a similar shell today.

Anyone else build one of these or similar?

All the pictures appear to have been deleted (as seems to happen with all older threads) but here is mine again just so folks can see what we were talking about.

Attachments

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is mine, built up by Gary Noonan. :)
Replica Beavertails and Single Flange hoops (I ended up not using the 3 point strainer in the end)

Cheers
Mick
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:342389]

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
MustangMick said:
This is mine, built up by Gary Noonan. :)
Replica Beavertails and Single Flange hoops (I ended up not using the 3 point strainer in the end)

Cheers
Mick
That looks pretty sharp, I may have to rethink having those repro sticksavers on mine.