Slingy vs SlingerLeedy Value

kyleswanson

Reaction score
I would be interested to know how many SlingerLeedy "bop" kits there are floating around. I've seen a couple, including one that was in Peacock Sparkle.

kyleswanson

Reaction score
Man, those peacock sparkle Leedies are gorgeous. I wonder who has them now?

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
So what's the deal with the "new" Leedy:Leedy drums

By the way, here's my contribution to the photo stream, though they need some TLC (and they're Leedy and Ludwig but snare is a Slinger, so the photo is a SlingerLeedyLuddy!):

clubdate64

Reaction score
the only thing that has always bothered me is that the Slingerland lugs actually match the floortom leg and bassdrum cymbal holder brackets (and even the sticksaver hoops to a degree), the Leedy art decco lugs kinda match up with the bass drum leg brackets and they did use standard hoop claws but I thought they should have used the older rectangular leedy badges. Slingerland was definately not looking to have to produce anymore castings than they needed to.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Slingerland was definately not looking to have to produce anymore castings than they needed to.
They were created as a second tier line from the moment they were purchased by Slingerland.
They were created as a second tier line. But, they were every bit of the same quality of the Slingerlands. However, the Leedys had more panache with those beautiful deco lugs. I look at the Slingerland vs SlingerLeedy comparison as a drum version of the Oldsmobile vs Pontiac comparison. There was much redundancy with two great product lines under the same corporate umbrella, and now both lines are history.

jondavidvox

Reaction score
With all things being equal which should/would be worth more, a Slingerland kit or a Leedy by Slingerland?
B)
I had a 4-piece set of Sleedylands...In that GORGEOUS Red Sparkle. (22, 14,12, Leedy Chrome 3-Stripe Snare....) My cousin borrowed them just long enough to get them stolen. I have Natural Maple 3-Ply Slings now, but sure miss those Leedys. Hope to replace/find them some day. J-D

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I know a guy with a "Slingerleedy" bop sized set in silver sparkle. He bought them brand new as a kid but later migrated to playing guitar. I've had him very close to selling them to me on a few occasions but he's always backed out at the last minute. Then he'll drop some hints that maybe he's ready to sell, or that he knows I'd give them a good home, and the dance begins again. Maybe someday he'll actually follow through. They need a fair amount of TLC at this point but still are very cool and not something you see every day. I really don't need more drums but I'd definitely make some space for these.

As to the original,years old, question of the post. Certainly the Slingerland-made Leedys are every bit as good as the Slingerlands of the same era, being essentially the same drums with different hardware. They are also rarer. Therefore I'd expect them to be worth more but not sure if that's actually the case. You pretty much have to be a "drum geek" to know what they are ( even more so than someone who knows of Slingerland) so I'd bet demand is lower than that of full blown Slingerlands, also add in the "2nd line" stigma that a cursory investigation might come upon and that might depress the market for them, at least a bit. Well, anyhow, that's what I should tell the guy with that killer little set I want ;)

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many of you know this but on the early Slingerleedy sets Slingerland used up there stock of old style/Radio King Ts and claws on bass drums.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd certainly be willing to pay more for Leedy's than Slingerlands of the same vintage myself. I just wonder about the market as a whole since a lot of potential buyers don't really know what they are.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many of you know this but on the early Slingerleedy sets Slingerland used up there stock of old style/Radio King Ts and claws on bass drums.
Well, my friend, my late-in-the-run '65/'66 kit has those RK t's and claws.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I got my first pro caliber gigging drum set in 1961, all the drummers I knew or saw playing locally played Ludwigs. I fell in love with the Swivomatic features of Rogers. So, I used my high school graduation gift money and some help from Mom and Dad to order a four piece Rogers outfit in Black Diamond Pearl and every Swivo doo dad available--even the snare mount on the bass drum. If I had been aware of Leedy drums back then, I just might have gotten those instead. I now own the same Shelly Manne 13-16-20-matching snare set that Rich K shows in the 1965 catalog page. My 1963
Leedy set is in Black Diamond Pearl. It is the drum set in my collection that would be the one I kept if I had to limit myself to only one drum set.