Slouching=back pain

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
currently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Can

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Raise your hats maybe? I play my hats really high up so it forces me to sit up straighter so that I come down on top of them. If not for this thread I don't think I would have ever really thought about it.

As far as products go there is also a back brace that pulls your shoulders back. That could be worth checking out also.

What It Is

Reaction score
Raise everything up and check your angles. Lately, I've been moving my snare drum a bit higher and it has cleared up some slouching issues I didn't even recognize until I saw myself on video. Check your seat height as well. Maybe it's time to sit a bit lower so your thighs are parallel. If you're playing "down" into your drums, then you'll be slouching to some degree. Video your playing and see what happens. Good luck and cool device.

Rick

Reaction score
I tend to slouch as well. It's not because my drums are set up where I have to reach... it's just a natural inclination I have always had when sitting. I try to work on it, but I have to think about it as it's not habit for me to sit up straight. And I have found this to be a problem with back pain developing during a long gig.

Expensive solution: I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, but it seems to really be helping me to sit with better posture... AND it's by far the most comfortable drum throne I've ever sat on. There's a whole thread on here about it. Anyway, check it out at https://www.motionpro.org

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Lowering your seat may exacerbate your back problems. I set my back rest so that I touch it only if I slouch...then it’s a reminder to sit tall. Keep drums and cymbals in tight, so you don’t have to reach for them. I try to think of a string attached to the top of my head pulling me up.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a struggle for me. My new rock-n-sock makes it easier though since I feel so much more stable on it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to slouch as well. It's not because my drums are set up where I have to reach... it's just a natural inclination I have always had when sitting. I try to work on it, but I have to think about it as it's not habit for me to sit up straight. And I have found this to be a problem with back pain developing during a long gig.

Expensive solution: I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, but it seems to really be helping me to sit with better posture... AND it's by far the most comfortable drum throne I've ever sat on. There's a whole thread on here about it. Anyway, check it out at https://www.motionpro.org
+1 on this

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I'd go nuts with a device on my back that constantly vibrates to remind me to sit up. I would probably rip it off and throw it out. But if that works for you, give it a shot. I honestly think though that some people naturally slouch. Everyone's back is not designed the same. A good supportive throne at the right height and the proper height positioning of your drum gear is what I believe is the solution.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Sit Lower!
Sitting too low will mess up your lower back lumbar discs, guaranteed. Sitting too high will mess up your middle and upper back. I know, because I did both early in my career. I finally figured out that it's best to sit at a medium height, with your thighs slightly higher than parallel to the floor. Use a wide, supportive drum seat, and sit up straight!

Papa Jo Jones used to come up behind drummers and poke a drumstick in their back and say, "Sit up straight!"

That's the trick.

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
currently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Can
when i made my comeback to drumming, having burned out and stayed out for 35 yrs....things were DIFFERENT!

the industry had morphed into some weird version of djs and peer sharing in which no one values music and i can't remember having trouble hauling hardware when i was a young buck. not to mention Hammond B3s and Leslies up stairs...

now, at 71 i finally lost some of that accumulated 130+ extra pounds...swim/gym 2 hrs a day x 5 , eat right and much pain, and FINALLY i can sit at my throne, which has a backrest, for endless hours of practice and office stuff like this...has to do with core strength or lack of it...i had a 24 pack that shortened my life and let to diabetes etc. avatar pic is at my worst....300 pounds and suffering.