Slow motion video of technique and blastbeat

scottpep

Reaction score
I recently had a request for a slow motion video of my hand technique while playing blast beats. I did warn the guy my technique was not great but he still wanted to see it.

It is kind of neat doing this as I can see some issues that I never noticed before while playing. They don't seem to show up while working on the pad.

My left hand is still better than it was, but it moves around and lacks some control compared to my right.

I suggest taking video with ur phone beside the practice pad one day and taking a close look at your hands.

I spent hours playing this weekend after recording this. I found out I was hitting my left much weaker trying to conserve energy. By doing so the rebound was slower and less powerful causing me to have to work much harder for the same strokes. so by using a bit more wrist and velocity I actually got a bit faster and my playing became cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshand

Reaction score
At first, I thought "this guy looks like the guy from Dissolution," and then I noticed the banner behind you!

I have recorded my hands in slo-mo before...it can definitely be eye opening.

scottpep

Reaction score
jshand said:
At first, I thought "this guy looks like the guy from Dissolution," and then I noticed the banner behind you!

I have recorded my hands in slo-mo before...it can definitely be eye opening.
haha small world! We are almost finished the CD and have a gig coming up in a few months at the Pyramid..

scottpep

Reaction score
Tmcfour said:
Good video. Do you play palm down with your right and french with your left?
Might have been due to the fact my snare drum was a bit lower and I was sitting a bit higher than usual..

It's usually american on both, sometimes switching to french.. I do notice that tends to happen when I blast though. Funny how you notice these things when the camera doesn't lie.... I also tend to do a moeller thing on the right from years of playing punk and fast hihat beats.

I was not warmed up and wimping out a bit when I made this video.. When I hit harder my blasts are cleaner and faster actually. The mix in my ears my have had the snare too loud making me hold back...

I am not making excuses though. I have lots to work on. haha

Latest posts