Small Auxiliary Snare with a Marching Drum Sound

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I already have a second snare off to the left of my hi-hats. And I have the LP mini-timbales with the snare (but the snares are off) mounted on the rack above the 2nd snare. What I think I want to do, is get a pair of 10" hi-hats mounted above and jut to the left of my regular hi-hats. And I would like to get ANOTHER aux snare mounted left of that, agngled towards me above the timbales. I'm hoping to do this with a 10" popcorn snare. I want a very distinctive sound coming from this one, something akin to a marching snare. What I would like, is something as close the 4th drum in this video, the Yamaha marching snare.

Now I know there's a lot of fudging involved here, because I'm dealing with a severe size difference, and I can never match the depth of sound those drums produce. But I'm sure with the right shell material, I'm assuming steel, and the right head and tuning combo, I could be just enough of a fudge to just about make it work. It would also need to be a drum with a tom arm mount. So what do you guys think? Any ideas or is this just a pipe dream?

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I was going to suggest the LP snare -- that's probably the closest drum I've heard to a high-tension modern marching drum. You mentioned you have one already -- are you not able to get that sound from it?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've used my Tempus 7x12 snare drum cranked pretty tight to get that sort of sound. I think having a shell that's a little deeper could help.

gmiller598

Reaction score
If you can find one around, Neil Peart used the top attachment of a Remo Legato marching snare on his kit for a while. Those were discontinued over 20 years ago but the drum was designed for the top to come off and be used as a "practice pad". It has guts underneath the top head like a pipe snare. Stick a modern aramid fiber snare head on top and you'll be good at about a medium tension. It clearly won't have the depth of the full 14x12 marching snare but could be a good option.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the LP snare -- that's probably the closest drum I've heard to a high-tension modern marching drum. You mentioned you have one already -- are you not able to get that sound from it?
They sound good, but they sound like what they are -- meaning the sound reflects their size, and being a single head drum. Not a lot of projection or body. Which again, I don't know if I can get from a popcorn snare either. I was looking at heads last night. Unless I missed something, Evans and Remo don't make marching heads for anything smaller than 13" snares.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can find one around, Neil Peart used the top attachment of a Remo Legato marching snare on his kit for a while. Those were discontinued over 20 years ago but the drum was designed for the top to come off and be used as a "practice pad". It has guts underneath the top head like a pipe snare. Stick a modern aramid fiber snare head on top and you'll be good at about a medium tension. It clearly won't have the depth of the full 14x12 marching snare but could be a good option.

Thank you! I'm going to look into these.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out Remo TSS pads with the marching snare attachment. It is THAT sound you look for.

It comes in different sizes (10/12/14 I believe) and they even had a mount for it to mount it to you hh stand.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check out Remo TSS pads with the marching snare attachment. It is THAT sound you look for.

It comes in different sizes (10/12/14 I believe) and they even had a mount for it to mount it to you hh stand.

Wow! That's the perfect solution. Great find. Thanks for sharing.

gmiller598

Reaction score

I forgot about those. I think Remo only made them for a really brief period of time. I wanted to use them as side mounted drums on full size marching snares for a group I taught around 13-14 years ago and just never was able to acquire them.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just spent the past couple of hours looking for the Remo RSS pads and the Legato snare. They don;t seem to be available at all. I'll have to keep an eye out on the used market.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Yeah, those things are rarer than hen's teeth, unfortunately. Good luck with it though, those are fun instruments!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep going back to these two. I'm thinking with some kind of 2 ply dotted head cranked to the sky it could work. Any thoughts?

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Similar to the Remo Legato snares, the Premier HTS 200 pipe snare has a set of wire snares under the top head and the upper portion of the drum is removable. Easier to find than the remo drum as they were THE standard for pipes and drum bands for many years.