small bass amp under $200

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I ventured into the realm of ( thinking ) I could play the bass guitar because there was an opportunity. In any event I put the bass away ( 1981 G&L L1000 ). I took it out recently, strung it and set it up. I have this ancient bass tube amp at home that's too big and noisy to use. I wanted to purchase a small bass amp. It doesn't have to have a teeny foot print but something that I can use to satisfy a self serving desire to play the bass once again. Possibly 40-50 watts, can have a headphone jack but not absolutely required. Thanks in advance for your input.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roland Bass micro Cube, also makes a nice battery powered preamp if you plug into something bigger

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Line 6 Lowdown 110 Studio bass amp. Stunningly good. They don't make them anymore, but you can find used ones for about $125-ish. I just bought one last week.

Attachments

fogo

Reaction score
I play a little bass, same requirement as you as far as the amp goes. Look into the Fender Rumble 40 v3 bass amp. About $200, 40 watt, gets pretty rave reviews. I love mine.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
If you can find an old US-built solid state Peavey in a pawn shop, they're real sleepers right now and can be had for cheap. People tend to write them off after the deservedly low reputation of the first wave of import peavy's, which look similar, but the u.s. built amps are really solid work horses.

I bought a guitar and bass amp recently... 60 bucks for the pair. Great little amps.

sheridan

Reaction score
Crate makes some great sounding amps. I have a 25 watt bass amp that’s small, but it’s built well and sounds great. It’s very loud for a small practice amp and i’ve also used it on gigs.

Targalx

Reaction score
I play a little bass, same requirement as you as far as the amp goes. Look into the Fender Rumble 40 v3 bass amp. About $200, 40 watt, gets pretty rave reviews. I love mine.
Yes. A bassist in one of the bands I play with uses a small Rumble for our practices. It really sounds good... especially for the price.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many years ago, I ventured into the realm of ( thinking ) I could play the bass guitar because there was an opportunity. In any event I put the bass away ( 1981 G&L L1000 ). I took it out recently, strung it and set it up. I have this ancient bass tube amp at home that's too big and noisy to use. I wanted to purchase a small bass amp. It doesn't have to have a teeny foot print but something that I can use to satisfy a self serving desire to play the bass once again. Possibly 40-50 watts, can have a headphone jack but not absolutely required. Thanks in advance for your input.
Kustom Amps! I wrote about them on a thread a couple of weeks ago. If you want something new, they are the best bang for the buck. Very overlooked but they have been around for years. I was a Peavey guy until I discovered Kustom. My personal powered PA for my acoustic drums with triggers is a Kustom unit. Pro level electronics and cabinets with excellent fit & finish that last and they are very affordable. Musician's friend & Guitar center sell them. Here is a link to their Bass amps:
You can also use the drum amps for a bass guitar from what I've seen. That would serve dual purpose, for drums & bass. This is the KDA100 which is 100 watts for $150 at Musician's friend & Guitar center:
They also have a 50 watt version (KDA50) for less if you could find one. I don't see any in stock:
If you go used, Peavey & Randall are excellent. Just make sure it's mint and not blown and of course at a good price. A few years ago I bought a couple of Peavey powered cabinets that the guy literally had never used and he practically gave them away to me. Some people buy them and just store them. As Sheridan said in a post above, Crate amps were great but they are no longer made so if it breaks, I don't know how difficult or expensive it would be to repair. I had a Crate amp a few years back though and it was fantastic!
Good luck!

Last edited: