Small cordless drill recommendations.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Besides needing a new battery so I am better off just to buy a new drill plus the fact my DeWalt cordless drill is too big to use on the inside of small toms to take screws out any body recommend a reliable small cordless drill? Thanks

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Two options. I use one of these: a right-angle drill adapter in a regularly cordless drill. Works great.

Milescraft Drive90PLUS Impact Ready Right Angle Drill Attachment

Another, more elegant solution that frees up your other hand more is to get a proper right-angle drill. Not necessarily this one, but a good example:

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Right Angle Drill (Tool-Only)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here you go...Milwaukee M12 12V right angle drill...$129 with battery and charger and case. I use the M12 system professionally pretty much everyday and have a set up at home as well. One battery failed-after 8 years of usage. Good stuff

Amazon link:

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one ... very inexpensive and extremely versatile for working on the drums.
Rechargeable and very dependable.

Folds short or long ... has a neat magnetic piece on top to hold the alternate bit ... a light for us old blind guys ... and several other swifty nifty neato features.

It holds a charge quite well.

IMG_7034.jpgIMG_7035.jpgIMG_7037.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stupid question:
I see you all have the cordless screwdrivers with star bits for use in screws like the ones inside the toms. How about a bit for use on the tension rods for quick tear down or reassembly when changing heads?
Is there a bit that you can adapt for this purpose and what would be it's size (I should know this)?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Stupid question:
I see you all have the cordless screwdrivers with star bits for use in screws like the ones inside the toms. How about a bit for use on the tension rods for quick tear down or reassembly when changing heads?
Is there a bit that you can adapt for this purpose and what would be it's size (I should know this)?
Terminology time, not to be a stickler but because it makes it easier to know what we're talking about:

A four-pointed (X) bit is a "Philips" bit.

There IS a different bit design that colloquially gets called a "star" bit (certain styles popularized by the Torx company), but it's completely different from Philips.

Loads of companies sell drum key drill bits. Useful, but proceed with caution. I put my drill into a low resistance clutch setting (so if something binds, I don't accidentally strip the insert/rod/damage a lug).
Gibraltar SC-DB Drill Bit Drum Key https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016H8RY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YakSCb57BWGW2

drummer

Reaction score
Easy and inexpensive way to make a tension rod bit for your drill....cut off the top portion of a drum key.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gibraltar makes a proper drill bit for tension rods. When I had right wrist surgery, I could not do fine movements like using a drum key. I got this drill bit and I love it. I also switched to the "S" shaped speed key that have a spindle handle as it's easier for me.

As for how to make a drill bit, just cut the two side handles off a drum key as noted above. I have a Dremel for this type of stuff and it is awesome. I used a vice grip & plies to tear off the handles, then cleaned it up with the Dremel. The "bit" is about 1/4" but fits fine in the drill and it works with no issues. I never drill all the way to tight. I always leave it so I fine tune by hand.

And, BTW, it should be a 5mm (female/reverse/inverse? - not sure of the term) square bit for the drum head.....maybe there is a "regular" drill bit with that design, but the "drum" ones are only like $5-6......

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gibraltar makes a proper drill bit for tension rods. When I had right wrist surgery, I could not do fine movements like using a drum key. I got this drill bit and I love it. I also switched to the "S" shaped speed key that have a spindle handle as it's easier for me.

As for how to make a drill bit, just cut the two side handles off a drum key as noted above. I have a Dremel for this type of stuff and it is awesome. I used a vice grip & plies to tear off the handles, then cleaned it up with the Dremel. The "bit" is about 1/4" but fits fine in the drill and it works with no issues. I never drill all the way to tight. I always leave it so I fine tune by hand.

And, BTW, it should be a 5mm (female/reverse/inverse? - not sure of the term) square bit for the drum head.....maybe there is a "regular" drill bit with that design, but the "drum" ones are only like $5-6......
I took the 'buy a bit' route instead of making one. For a $6 item it's not worth the extra work. I saw the Gibraltar and it looks fine but I opted for the Evans. Other companies make them as well and are all about the same price. I'm sure they are pretty much all the same. Some look so identical that they are probably made in the same factory and branded differently. Thank you "Steambent" for this thread! It got me to go buy something that will make life easier and it's something that's relatively cheap. I never have used an electric screwdriver and just bought one (and the drill bit).
I ended up buying this Craftsman electric screwdriver from Sears and will pick it up tomorrow. I also bought the Evans drill bit from Musicians Friend. It seemed pretty refined and it's got a nice replacement warranty. I had rewards points both at Sears & Musicians Friend. I spent a grand total of $2.83 for both the screwdriver and drill bit. Can't go wrong with that!:)
$16 and it's 5.25 inches so it's seems like the perfect size for small toms (and the rest of the kit). I don't think durability will be an issue since it wont be used constantly.
Craftsman.png
Evans.png

Last edited:

makinao

Reaction score
I have the following for working on drums:

1) Evans Drill Bit Drum Key - A godsend for removing only tension rods and lug screws. But for screwing in, I do it manually to avoid stripping threads. Other companies have the same thing.

2) Bosch IXO cordless screwdriver - Small, handy, sits on top of my desk, and can fit inside an 8" drum. The only thing is doesn't have is a clutch, but as I said above I don't use it for tightening any thing in my drums. It has difficulty with tight, sticky tension rods because it doesn't have that much torque. Its getting old though, and I think I stripped a gear in the process of disassembling and reassembling a drum last week. So I got .......

3) Bosch GSB 180-LI (I don't know the equivalent USA model number) - Heavier, bigger, has more torque and speed, and has a clutch. It just fits into a 10" drum, but nothing smaller. I just got it yesterday, so haven't tried it on drums yet. But I doubt it will have trouble with sticky tension rods.

4) Various drum keys - for tightening and tuning.

Last edited: