Small crack in hole of the cymbal. What should I do??

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
I recently purchased this 20’ Agop Signature Ride from a guy on Craigslist. Because of some minor keyholing I was able to get a great price. The cymbal
sounds amazing, so I didn’t mind looking past those issues.

What would you recommend I do to further prevent the crack from spreading. Should I install a grommet? Would that negatively effect the sound?
Thanks

Attachments

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two good options:

1. Install a grommet. This will take the pressure off the cymbal hole area and decrease the likelihood of the crack spreading.
2. Dremel out the crack and round it out a bit. (Then install a grommet.) This will virtually eliminate any chance of the crack spreading.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
Do you have to fix it? Doesn’t even look like much of a crack to me.

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Two good options:

1. Install a grommet. This will take the pressure off the cymbal hole area and decrease the likelihood of the crack spreading.
2. Dremel out the crack and round it out a bit. (Then install a grommet.) This will virtually eliminate any chance of the crack spreading.
How simple is the dremel procedure? I haven't done anything like that before.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How simple is the dremel procedure? I haven't done anything like that before.
If you have a Dremel tool, it's easy. ;)

I generally use one of the stone wheels and just widen the crack to the thickness of the wheel. This will keep it from rubbing. Plus, as the radius of the angle at the end of the crack increases from, say, 1/1000" to, say, 1/64", the stress concentration at that point will diminish exponentially. It's quite easy, but go slow. Those Dremel wheels go through cymbal bronze like butter.

Something like this:

All that said, I'd probably leave it as is. Maybe mark it with a Sharpie and if it starts to spread, then take some action.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I’ve had some bell cracks on a Paiste 2002 black label crash since I bought it a couple years ago and they haven’t spread at all and I can be a heavy hitter. I’d just monitor them for awhile before doing anything

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll leave it alone for now and keep track of the crack. It’s so small I don’t think it will turn into anything. Maybe eventually I’ll install a grommet and/or use the dremel.

On a separate note, how does this affect the value of the cymbal? I bought it for $175, so would you think I can get a similar price in the future?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it really bothers you, sell it.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if we all looked at our vintage cymbals that closely, we'd find worse cracks than that. I don't see much to worry about there.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark the edge of the cymbal in line with the crack with a magic marker - and play opposite the crack most of the time. Hammer on the other side of the bell if you must.
I've never had a bell hole crack get worse once I start monitoring it and try to play away from it.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
You can send it to Jake Weinbrenner he does micro braze that works. I've been smacking this 17 trans stamp around for a few years the repairs are begging for more!

View attachment 502778
Now that is really cool. Do you remember what he charged?

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up using a step drill bit to widen the hole. Seemed like the cheapest and most permanent solution to this, and was only possible because of how small the cracks were. I hope it doesn’t lower the value of the cymbal, although I don’t really care about that. I think it makes it more desirable because it doesn’t have any cracks and is better balanced. Pics are below.
08192DC5-1F81-46A7-A21C-5222D773614C.jpeg
image.jpg

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing to my 18" Istanbul K. There was a tiny crack that I only noticed when I took some photos of the hole. I used a Dremel to grind out the crack, and then used a step bit to make everything tidy. Basically I ended up with a modern sized hole in an Istanbul K, so it worked out perfectly.