Small Dent on Edge of New Hi Hats

Scottie15

Reaction score
Hello all. Just scored a pair of 15" HHX Complex hats. They were listed as "mint". Hats came in today and they looked good, other than a small dent I noticed in the lip of the bottom hat. The top also has a smaller dent so I'd assume these hats were dropped during shipment. See the attached photos of the bottom hat dent.

What's the probability that these dents will affect the sonic integrity of these hats? Should I be concerned?

20200914_195522.jpg

20200914_194923.jpg

20200914_194844.jpg

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sort of thing would bother me for five minutes.

I don’t think it will affect the sonic integrity in any way most humans could hear.

I’m sure if we could examine the cymbals of our heroes we’d see all sorts of blemishes, dents, flea bites and worse.
Nice hats. I’m curious about your opinion of them once the three of you get better acquainted.

Falling Buffalo

Reaction score
I had a similar scenario with a pair of New Beats. Although, I bought them new and didn’t notice the dent in my excitement. It was after a week of playing on them when I noticed it. Made me sick at first knowing that now I’d played them at home and could not make a legit argument that it came to me in this condition. But...! I loved the sound and didn’t notice it through hours of enjoyment, so I got over it. Still Rockin them today and my only worry is that someday a crack will start there.

Scottie15

Reaction score
Sonic integrity? No. The seller's integrity? Definitely.

Well, the cymbals weren't like this when he shipped them. I saw photos. However, he shipped them in the most dilapidated cardboard box with literally one sheet of packing paper. It looks as if the cymbals were dropped during shipment.

So, definitely the sellers integrity when it comes to how they package and ship their goods. Perhaps he was pissed by my low-ball offer or something.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Return them. I don't care what people say, if you held back a bit of the agreed upon money you spent would you have received shipment? No. So return them, those are not mint. But, I will tell you from my eBay experience of 20 years now, you may hear 'how they must have been damaged intransit', they 'wouldn't ship out a pair of nicked hats' and all kinds of nonsense. I bought a pair of Paiste Masters 14" Hi-Hats from a reputable Music Store on Long Island years ago. They shipped me a top 13" and a bottom 14" and told me thats the way they come now because Steve Gadd uses these sizes. ?????? I fought with them and they took them back. But they lost my business forever. If it's bothering you enough to write about the dent on here, return 'em!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big deal. Easily fixable. However, they are NOT mint......without knowing what you paid or what they are worth new, you can work something out if you really like them, or just return them on the seller's dime......sucks to waste time, though.....

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you can send them back for piece of mind try that option, if they were listed as "mint".

If you scored a great price for them, meh.. do they sound good?

Tough call, all mine have those little dings in them on the inside and I never bothered worrying about them but that's me.

Scottie15

Reaction score
They're a pair of 15" HHX Complex hats. Paid $375 for them. Jammed with them a bit today and they seemed fine.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not give an opinion on this thread, LOL!

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will affect it sonic wise at all....I have dropped a hi hat cymbal here and there a few times resulting in a nick on the edge sometime in the last 40 years.....Makes no difference in the sound.

Davo

Reaction score
Looks like some good flea bites there from lousy packing . I've seen that before .
I bought a set of 14" Ziljian A Rock Hats from a seller on the bay . Sellers description was perfect condition / no flaws . They were packed well . But they were obviously dropped at one time and had some flea bitten edges like they were dropped on concrete . No dents but flea bites . I contacted the seller . He offered to refund half what I paid for them . So I sanded out the flea bites except for one that was deeper than I would try to sand out . They're great hats especially for what I paid for them . I cleaned them up and they look like new . Only one flea bite now . Can't hear it so ....
But if those were damaged because of a poor pack job , I'd hold the seller responsible . At least get some money knocked off . Send him the pictures .

Scottie15

Reaction score
Looks like some good flea bites there from lousy packing . I've seen that before .
I bought a set of 14" Ziljian A Rock Hats from a seller on the bay . Sellers description was perfect condition / no flaws . They were packed well . But they were obviously dropped at one time and had some flea bitten edges like they were dropped on concrete . No dents but flea bites . I contacted the seller . He offered to refund half what I paid for them . So I sanded out the flea bites except for one that was deeper than I would try to sand out . They're great hats especially for what I paid for them . I cleaned them up and they look like new . Only one flea bite now . Can't hear it so ....
But if those were damaged because of a poor pack job , I'd hold the seller responsible . At least get some money knocked off . Send him the pictures .
I appreciate the advice. I sent a message to the seller and will await his response. Even with the flea bite, I still think the $145 off list price is still a killer deal.