Small , Micro , Bop whatever

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I dunno the reasons for nixing Pearl/Tama/etc.. Since Yamaha is out, I'm guessing it's a straightup import issue, in which case Sidekick makes a kit:
But they're basically the same price as INDe and I'd rather go that way.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my ride mounted on the BD of my Wayfarer 10x20 with an INDe mount. At first I thought it was going to topple the whole thing, but it seems fine after some adjusting. I have a thin-medium weight cymbal on there. I don't think I'd try much more. A tom mount might even the weight a bit? That 12" tom weighs nothing.
Thats what I was thinking, a heavy or large diameter cymbal and some hard playing could make that skinny BD pretty unstable, and with a tom hanging off of it, well, it could get ugly.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not aware that those Inde aluminum shells are riveted. Anyone have any intel on the pros/cons of that type of construction?
(I have some bias here that I want to work through, because listening to them, they sound fantastic.)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno the reasons for nixing Pearl/Tama/etc.. Since Yamaha is out, I'm guessing it's a straightup import issue, in which case Sidekick makes a kit:
But they're basically the same price as INDe and I'd rather go that way.
I just don’t like “ Asian “ drums . It has zero to do with nationalism. They just all have a generic quality to them I don’t like .
I just don’t like the aesthetics .
Yes , I’m strange ...
I won’t ever really consider anything Gretsch for other reasons ...

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My DW Low Pro Kit has become my rehearsal and occasional gig kit . It sounds surprisingly good . It all packs up in a rolling suitcase style drum case . I can even trigger the bass and snare with my Roland TM-1 which I do frequently . It has a tiny footprint too . The SNOM that came with the kit is crap and I sold it immediately .
[/QUOTE

I just can’t see paying that much ....

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i put together a small set for smaller type gigs and rooms
20x14 rogers
12x8 camco
15x12 big r
takes up very little space
i have the 12 and a crash on one stand

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, a heavy or large diameter cymbal and some hard playing could make that skinny BD pretty unstable, and with a tom hanging off of it, well, it could get ugly.
Agreed. In fact, Josh made this video where he hangs 2 cymbals, a tom, and a cowbell off the bass drum of a WaFarer set along with his Ultralight hardware. Things look a little wobbly in action. Part of it is likely due to the "springiness" built in to his brackets, but it would make me a bit uncomfortable seeing my set swaying around like that while playing.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
My regular gigging kit for the previous year. 10/13/20. Hipgig with a better bass drum! All orphans destined for the trash.
3A1A8153-66E4-4436-A479-160AF90D5B72.jpeg

hmm92

Reaction score
Believe it or not I wanted a small kit also.
Being in a budget my local shop had a
ddrum se flyer ash kit.
Already had an eq head on the kick, I put emperors on the Toms.
They sound good tuned low.
I also have them mic’d up in garage for practice.
My DW collectors kit is at one of my bands houses set up in his rehearsal room.
W the two cymbal stands, high hat, snare still takes up some room but much lighter load.
I took a double Tom stand and hung the ride and a crash.
The other has a crash.
All said and done with stands probably around 650.00

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
This has my eye:

If it were 26" I'd probably have one otw. Not that 24-26 is a huge deal, but I have 26" heads laying around, and at $45, I'd like to be able to use what I have laying around

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This little bop set-uo has served me well for less than the price of a mid-range snare. That INDE Aluminium is just killer though! If I ever stop drinking the vintage kool-aid and want just one modern, practical, great sounding kit (that weighs around 25 lbs) it'd be those!

Attachments

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DW Frequent Flyer sounds like a much larger kit. Great well made gigging drums for many different small and medium situations. I've given mine a lot of use.

DW Freq.jpg

BlackPearl

Reaction score
The little kit I built for myself some years ago has 10× 20 bass drum, and I love it. Not sure how clear it is in the pic, but this was one time it really came in handy - The front of the drum was right on the edge of the riser I had to set up on. A wider drum just wouldn't have worked . It was pretty cramped as it was.
20190608_175544.jpg

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little kit I built for myself some years ago has 10× 20 bass drum, and I love it. Not sure how clear it is in the pic, but this was one time it really came in handy - The front of the drum was right on the edge of the riser I had to set up on. A wider drum just wouldn't have worked . It was pretty cramped as it was. View attachment 481209
I’d like to see more of this kit !!

cobaltspike

Reaction score
I can foresee needing a small kit for house parties , small stage gigs etc .
I’m pretty sure my mind is made up .
I don’t see that much space saved with a deeper bass drum , and I liketge idea of 20x10 . How can you beat this Inde kit ?
It’s right under $1200 .
I’m not interested in Yamaha or Tama
or Pearl . Can any other USA company beat the Wayfarer kits ? Or come close ??

I would get the aluminum. View attachment 480778
For house parties and such maybe go electronic, you can control volume that way, just a suggestion,

deepsoulradio

Reaction score
12x16 kick, 13" FT

i.e., Gretsch micro bop or Ludwig Breakbeats. $500 for the Breakbeats and they crush it with coated Ambs