Small , Micro , Bop whatever

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
12x16 kick, 13" FT

i.e., Gretsch micro bop or Ludwig Breakbeats. $500 for the Breakbeats and they crush it with coated Ambs
I’m not sure what Gretsch series you are referring to . But if it’s Catalina; hard pass .
Same goes for the Breakbeats .

I prefer instruments made with a bit of care .

I’ll gladly pay more ..
Let’s see where all those $400 kits are in 20 years ....

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can foresee needing a small kit for house parties , small stage gigs etc .
I’m pretty sure my mind is made up .
I don’t see that much space saved with a deeper bass drum , and I liketge idea of 20x10 . How can you beat this Inde kit ?
It’s right under $1200 .
I’m not interested in Yamaha or Tama
or Pearl . Can any other USA company beat the Wayfarer kits ? Or come close ??
I would get the aluminum.
1611387948755.png
I went in a similar direction - 12x9 / 14x14 / 22x8.
Not too loud, but you can enjoy the flexibility of the 22" head size.
The 8" depth takes most of the "boom" out of the drum and would fit on a tight stage a lot easier than 14" or 16" or 18" depths.
This kit comes off sounding pretty fair and mine are just cheapie generics. Think about that with a nicely made Maple shell......yep.
So when you're talkin' to InDe about that new kit, see if they can't build you a 22x8 bass with 12/14 toms.
You won't be sorry.

Elvis

DSCN2636.JPG

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went in a similar direction - 12x9 / 14x14 / 22x8.
Not too loud, but you can enjoy the flexibility of the 22" head size.
The 8" depth takes most of the "boom" out of the drum and would fit on a tight stage a lot easier than 14" or 16" or 18" depths.
This kit comes off sounding pretty fair and mine are just cheapie generics. Think about that with a nicely made Maple shell......yep.
So when you're talkin' to InDe about that new kit, see if they can't build you a 22x8 bass with 12/14 toms.
You won't be sorry.

Elvis

View attachment 481338
I like shallow toms too though .

Browny

Reaction score
I like the sizes of the Inde wayfarers, either the 20x10/12x6/15/8 or the 22x10/13x6/16x10. Aluminium would be cool, as would the maple for a little less cash. Al gotta be light too.

I like that they’re ‘normal’ diameters, not the micro kit with a 16 kick or whatever. Not that there’s anything wrong with that... they’re just not my bag.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Isn’t that bass drum 16” deep ?
I can fit my 24x14 kit into just about the same space as those sizes .

I think shallow bass drums are they key to really saving space ....
Width takes up space too. With a 24 your stands are 6” further apart that with an 18”.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
I’d like to see more of this kit !!
20151206_112521_HDR.jpg

They're Keller Magnum shells, 8x12,12×14,10x20. Its the only kit I've built, and I had little woodworking experience. The snare in these pics is also one one of mine, 7x14, with a shell from Champagne drums. The floor tom hangs off a cymbal stand, and Ive since added a mount to the rack tom, so it hangs off the other cymbal stand. I love the kit, and think it looks great from a few feet away, but the inlays were a bit ambitious. I had problems with the router jig I used, and the fit is far from perfect. Doesnt bother me much though.

Attachments

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the sizes of the Inde wayfarers, either the 20x10/12x6/15/8 or the 22x10/13x6/16x10. Aluminium would be cool, as would the maple for a little less cash. Al gotta be light too.

I like that they’re ‘normal’ diameters, not the micro kit with a 16 kick or whatever. Not that there’s anything wrong with that... they’re just not my bag
Exactly how I feel , and dang there are already way to many Breakbeat kits out there !!!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what Gretsch series you are referring to . But if it’s Catalina; hard pass .

I’ll gladly pay more ..
Houndog,
Are you trying to buy a small kit to keep and possibly appreciate in value? I think if your purpose is to just have a small kit for house parties it is actually wise to consider those $400 kits. SOME of them are made well and sound pretty damn good (Sonor’s low tier small kits are amazing) and you pretty much sell them for the price you bought or just a little less, whereas a brand new American made frequent flyer is $1500 out the door and it won’t be worth much in 20 years either, you will lose more money on it.
I think it all depends on your purpose, but there are very good sounding cheap drums out there that work for those every now and then small venue/house gigs. Paying a little more for a used frquent flyer is worth it though.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys, timely thread here.....in need of a decent bop sized kit I can leave behind stored at a local private sailing club for our house band where we may play 4-5x/year, no more. Tired of schlepping the whole slingy kit and am of the age where loading in/out is no longer desired (snare, cymbals, few stands OK).

Sooooo, Ludwig Breakbeats? Catalina Club?.....are they total crap or will they get this limited job done? (jazz, lite rock, bossa genres, nothing heavy, i.e. older folks music).

Thoughts??

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houndog,
Are you trying to buy a small kit to keep and possibly appreciate in value? I think if your purpose is to just have a small kit for house parties it is actually wise to consider those $400 kits. SOME of them are made well and sound pretty damn good (Sonor’s low tier small kits are amazing) and you pretty much sell them for the price you bought or just a little less, whereas a brand new American made frequent flyer is $1500 out the door and it won’t be worth much in 20 years either, you will lose more money on it.
I think it all depends on your purpose, but there are very good sounding cheap drums out there that work for those every now and then small venue/house gigs. Paying a little more for a used frquent flyer is worth it though.
I never consider resale value , I’m stubborn about $400 kits , I just wouldn’t enjoy owning one .
Think my mind is made up on the Inde kit wholeheartedly.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also , none of the $400 kits have 20x10 bass drums do they ??
The Sonor Player kit had a 20x12 (previous generation, alongside the original Martini / Safari / Bebop kits), but they're very hard to find now. I have one that I got for $400 brand new (20x12, 14x5, 10x8, 14x12), and it's the best value-per-dollar of any drum purchase I've ever made

Old Beginner

Reaction score
I never consider resale value , I’m stubborn about $400 kits , I just wouldn’t enjoy owning one .
Think my mind is made up on the Inde kit wholeheartedly.
Everything about the Wafarer kit is designed to make it light - single lugs on the toms, aluminum floor tom legs & bass drum spurs, optional bass drum mounted cymbal brackets and optional aluminum L-rods for the cymbal brackets to get rid of the need for stands.

I don't see that across-the-board concern with weight on the other mentioned kits. You never see the weight of a drum kit listed on other manufacturers' websites, and if they did, would probably come nowhere near the Waferer kit.

Going standless is the best way to lose weight, and if you are bothered by the sway of the cymbal arms in the Inde Waferer video, it could possibly be reduced if Inde produced a cross bar that attached the two cymbal L-arms using a variant of the Waferer cymbal end clamp.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to the Breakbeats, but I have been gigging a Tama Silverstar Metro Jam for the past three years, initially for a jazz combo and then also for a classic rock band (with a mic on the kick). The toms are 10 and 13 (floor) and I mostly use a Blacrolite. I find it a lot of fun to play and I've yet to find a venue (indoors or out) where it won't work. The real trick was dialing in the 16 bass drum. (I should mention that I dislike high pitched toms and bass drums - I prefer them punchy and deep.) Currently I use a Remo Muff'l backing up either an Evans EC2 or Remo Pinstripe. They sound good, they look good, they're easy to schlep and their size makes them non-threatening to people who see a full size drum set as too loud. I also have no personal experience with the Pearl Midtown, but it's essentially their version of the Metro Jam (with the exception of the wood - poplar vs birch), so I suspect it would also fit the bill for anyone looking for a reasonably priced/good quality mini kit.

2018-01-12-DeepCreek001.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

2019-06-16-AnchorsAweigh003.JPG

I also recently bought a used Gretsch Catalina Club (18/12,14 floor & 5x14 snare) and although I haven't been able to gig it yet, it sounds good to me and I like the fact that it's a very simple, light kit. I know a lot of people here look down their noses at it because it's not a USA Custom, but I think it will do just fine as a rough-and-ready weekend warrior kit.

I know the OP mentioned that Asian drums were off the table, but honestly, they're probably the best bet in this scenario. If money were no object, I'd spring for a British Drum Company Imp (16 kick/10 & 13 toms) in a heartbeat, but I could never justify spending the kind of money that thing costs for what it is unless I was at the point where it would be my one and only kit.

One other thing that I think no one ever mentions (and maybe I'm the only one to whom this matters), but when using these mini-size drums, I think cymbals should be proportional to the drums; it looks very odd to me to see 20 and 22 cymbals paired with shoebox drums. When playing jazz with my Metro Jam, I use 13" hats, a 16 crash (if I use one) and 18 rides. When using it on rock gigs, I switch to 14" hats but stick with a 16 crash (although a heavier model) and an 18" ride (also heavier), and I haven't had any complaints yet.

deepsoulradio

Reaction score

I’ll gladly pay more ..
Gretsch Brooklyn Micro

I've owned and played many high-end modern and vintage kits over the years (DW, Gretsch, Tama, Ludwig, custom builders, etc etc) and would still put the Breakbeats on even ground with them in terms of sound and performance. Sure, you can see why they are cheaper when looking in detail, but good heads and good tuning can make most any kit sound great.

Here's a clip of me on some Breaks with coated Ambs - I think they are rad!

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch Brooklyn Micro

I've owned and played many high-end modern and vintage kits over the years (DW, Gretsch, Tama, Ludwig, custom builders, etc etc) and would still put the Breakbeats on even ground with them in terms of sound and performance. Sure, you can see why they are cheaper when looking in detail, but good heads and good tuning can make most any kit sound great.

Here's a clip of me on some Breaks with coated Ambs - I think they are rad!
Very nice drumming !!