Smaller, lighter, stackable drum sets for older drummers.

Old Beginner

Reaction score
It’s not the shell that makes a drum lightweight, it’s the lugs and Tom mount .
A bare wood shell weighs the same as any other kind in my experience.
If I’m repurposing old shells I can change tom mounts, so what is the lightest type of Tom mount to use?

Reaction score
The TAMA Club-JAM Flyer for $357 (Honey Chrome extension found $20 coupon) seems like a good deal. I'm wondering if my quest to find Pearl orphans and use the Jungle Gig will ending up costing more

Ox Han

Reaction score
If I’m repurposing old shells I can change tom mounts, so what is the lightest type of Tom mount to use?
The tom mount for a no-tom-kit

Jk..maybe a second snare stand? It might not be lighter but it’s really easy to carry. Alternatively, RIMS mounts can attach to a cymbal stand like a two-fer.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play an INDe 18/15/12 setup very close in depths to INDe's new Wayfarer setups and they sound huge and fantastic. Also very lightweight. I can't recommend them enough.

Old Beginner

Reaction score
I play an INDe 18/15/12 setup very close in depths to INDe's new Wayfarer setups and they sound huge and fantastic. Also very lightweight. I can't recommend them enough.
It would be great if some of the Inde drummers (or Josh) post the weights of the various drums in the kit, so we can compare with the ones we have.

Jazz Drummer

Reaction score
I would look for vintage drums (Premier are the cheapest and some of the best drums ever built) for various reasons - thin shells with re-rings and light hardware. I sold my road set 18x12/12x8/14x12, now using 20x12/ 12x8/14x14. "A drum in a drum" is not the best idea, bags get heavy. The key to success really is light hardware which includes a rack tom mount on the BD rather than on a SD-stand. Olympic (by Premier) are even lighter, no cast rims and skimmed down hardware on drums, same excellent shells otherwise.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be great if some of the Inde drummers (or Josh) post the weights of the various drums in the kit, so we can compare with the ones we have.
12x18, with spurs: 12.1 lbs.
14x14, with legs: 12.9 lbs.
8x12: 6.1lbs.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several drummers I know have purchased the smaller drum kits that are lighter and can be packed on top of one another in one or two vinyl bags. The sizes are much smaller with bass drum being about 18" and toms are smaller and resemble deep pie plates. With some sets the floor tom and snare can be attached to the bass drum by metal tubes. A regular snare can be used with a snare stand as an option. They can be stacked and placed in one or two cases.
I believe Pearl, Yamaha and possibly Ludwig were making these. Perfect for jazz gigs because they sound great. Since I turned 70, I get tired of lugging heavy drums around for a $50.00 gig. Can anyone recommend a specific set that you use?
I have been told that some stores are not selling these any longer and the best option would be a private sale or eBay. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but by the same token I don't want poor qualite. Maybe a range of $400 - $500.
Not a Gretsch Catalina Club set, more compact. Hope everyone is doing well I've been playing a lot and have gotten out of the loop. Covid-19 has done a number on all of us who want to play out again.
A better sounding alternative might be Pearl Maters Maple Reserve.
It's the old MMX 4 ply Maple shell.
Sounds great and light as a feather.
You're still lugging around the same number of cases at the beginning and end of the night, but those are some of the lightest drums I've ever hefted.
Go pick one up sometime and you'll see what I mean...and you don't have to "settle" for a thin sounding frame drum.

...just another way of looking at the problem.

Elvis