SMB "Take The Money and Run" cymbal recommendation

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're all aware of the cymbal sound I'm referring to. It's the trashy china cymbal sound that is prominent on the first beat of the second measure. I'm looking for a recommendation for a cymbal that would work well in replicating that particular cymbal sound. I've read that Gary Mallaber used a cracked Zildjian but I'm not about to try to make my own. I'm hoping that someone can recommend a specific type (I'm a lifelong Zildjian player) and size to replicate that particular sound. I'm assuming I'll have to resort to some type of china or effects cymbal but this is new territory for me, so I would appreciate your input.

ggmerino

Reaction score
Sounds like a Zildjian swish knocker - a thin one from the 70s- although I understand it is probably a cracked zildjian of some sort.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
20" swish no ink late 60 early mid 70s upside down
and then play it
(needed be special; just a run of the mill- swish

egw

Reaction score
That cymbal has no rivets, and sounds like a thin 18 or 20 Zildjian Swish to me. Readily available on the used market. Not the heavier, riveted Swish Knocker.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
You can get away with a 2oo2 and many others if you play it right..at the exact moment...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a cut and broken china he used on a few of those sessions.
If it were me ... I would use a china with holes and maybe mod it a bit for an even quicker and dirtier sound.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny ..... heard that tune the other day at the gym - first time in ages ......

Listening more closely, I hear two different "china" cymbals: a lower, trashier pitch on the first "one" after the pick-up fill, then a higher pitch on the "one" of measures 2, 3, and 4 of the great drum intro.
Like there was a big china over on the right by the floor tom and another smaller one on the left?

I'm also reminded of just how good Gary's playing is on this track ...... and in general.

Mike

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
. . . sounds like a thin 18 or 20 Zildjian Swish to me.
This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ And an 18" to be exact. I had an 18" and a 20" Zildjian Swish (not a Swish Knocker!), and the 18" matched the sound on the record exactly. Mine was an early 70's model.

GeeDeeEmm

(Picture borrowed from the internet; not my exact cymbal.)

J

jaymandude

Gotta be cracked tho.. Ask Chris Dave :) All that bouggie Sabian sheeet is based on beat up and cracked cymbals.... So......

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendation of the Zildjian swish. I was aware of the modern swish knocker with the rivets but will take a look at the older swish.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you end up finding something? I'm interested cause I've been wanting that quick, trashy, yet musical cymbal sound myself.

I heard "Mercury Blues" today and it reminded me how much I dig that sound and Gary Mallaber's drumming.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you end up finding something? I'm interested cause I've been wanting that quick, trashy, yet musical cymbal sound myself.

I heard "Mercury Blues" today and it reminded me how much I dig that sound and Gary Mallaber's drumming.
It was discussed here years ago. There’s a thread somewhere. It’s two different cymbals. You hear the same trashy Chinese sounding cymbal on Eddie Money’s Two Tickets To Paradise.

Here’s what Gary said when I asked him years ago... His reference to a 22” Zildjian China would be a Swish in the 70’s.

On "Rockin Me" (Miller band),........that intro and entire song was the 22" Zildjian China,......split at the edge curve,................almost all the way around,..............NEXT (also Miller band) ,...the song ,.."Take the Money & Run",....that was a 16" crash,......split so badly,......I cut the rest out,...around the bell,.. and it looked like a mechanical drawing Protractor,...1/2 circle with bell attached,......and I still have it!
Love,...
Gary Mallaber

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was discussed here years ago. There’s a thread somewhere. It’s two different cymbals. You hear the same trashy Chinese sounding cymbal on Eddie Money’s Two Tickets To Paradise.

Here’s what Gary said when I asked him years ago... His reference to a 22” Zildjian China would be a Swish in the 70’s.

On "Rockin Me" (Miller band),........that intro and entire song was the 22" Zildjian China,......split at the edge curve,................almost all the way around,..............NEXT (also Miller band) ,...the song ,.."Take the Money & Run",....that was a 16" crash,......split so badly,......I cut the rest out,...around the bell,.. and it looked like a mechanical drawing Protractor,...1/2 circle with bell attached,......and I still have it!
Love,...
Gary Mallaber
Thanks for the information! I wonder if there are any pics of the cymbals anywhere?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're welcome! I believe he does and will ask him. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, here's a picture of us last year at NAMM (Gary's the good-looking one on the right ;) ) View attachment 433596
Great picture!

I bet a lot of guys here would love to see pictures of those cymbals we have hearing and wanting the sound of for decades.

Thanks!

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Very cool!
Gary's china sound has been "the" china cymbal sound for a lot of people over the decades. It's funny that it was a literally trashed cymbal. I read about that cymbal in MD years ago but couldn't remember the size.

I have a 22" Swish from the 70's and it does have that type of sound.
Mine isn't as trashy because it's not cracked, but it has that same kind of sound when it doesn't have rivets in it.
I have a 22" 70's Pang also, and it has that "type" of sound, but smoother, and longer sustain than the Swish.

My 18" 1982 Swish has a different sound than any of my others. It's very smooth in the lathing and the sound is a lot smoother. The initial strike is not as trashy at all. An 18" Swish I got later has WAY more trash, but not as much as a China Boy model.

The early 90's 20" Swish I have does have a crack that I drilled (stopped it), and it has that Mallaber flavor--w/slightly different tone because of size obviously.

I got one of the last Swish Knockers they had left at the factory in the 90's after it was discontinued.
They had 3 left, take it or leave it.
Mine came in with NO RIVETS (!!) and a Brilliant finish (what??). I kept it, but I didn't like it and sold it later. Brilliant was not my choice, but fine. No rivets was really a bummer because that was one of the main points of that cymbal. It didn't have any of the trash without the rivets.

I really wish Zildjian never discontinued the 20" Swish.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
$202.00, great price if someone can snag it!

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Here's a 20" China Boy HIGH, that has a very similar sound to the Mallaber cymbal at $169 +ship.
The initial attack is REALLY close in sound.
I have one of these too, or I would seriously consider picking this one up.

Latest posts