Smiling while performing

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you look great I'd stay watch the band...btw who's drums are those?
The Guitar player guy eh..he's gotta go.. ; )

Man that Silver Glass is outta sight !!)
The pics are a few years old now, but they’re all my drums. I have some other cool stuff too. :) The gig with the silver vintage Gretsch was a jazz quartet that I was in for a long time. The other gig was a blues/rock type of trio group...played covers at a couple of restaurants....That was off and on for a few years. That was my Trans badge Ludwig kit on that night. Still have all of it.

Here’s another one, more recent at a church. The kit here in this pic is a low end Sonor...their house kit. My cymbals and snare, as always. Lol.

Almost forgot, the snare with the Gretsch is an ancient Ludwig NOB 6.5x15 with 10 lugs.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I don't really smile too often when playing. If we're joking around and stuff, then between songs I might, but when I'm in the middle of playing I don't typically concentrate on what my face is doing.

I had a lesson with Hamilton once. He got after me about closing my eyes. Said that you need to be able to see what you’re doing.
I tend to close my eyes when I'm singing and sometimes when just drumming if it's a song I'm really digging. My setup has been the same for about 15 years, now with the addition of a second crash for the last 2 or 3, so I know exactly where everything is without looking. Granted, it's a 4-piece with hats, two crashes, and a ride, so it would be more difficult if it was a bigger set.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been told to smile more and I have been lately. However I am often very focused on playing.
Bad habit or not, I've closed my eyes numerous times and found it quite enlightening. For one, I know where everything on my kit. Secondly I tend to focus on the music a bit more intensely. It's not something I do often and it's with players I've played with for a long time. But it doesn't hurt to venture out of your comfort zone.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love good music and have he luxury of not "needing" to play drums for a living. This means I can be selective about who I play with and in turn really enjoy the music I am hearing. So yes I tend to smile more often than not especially when one of my band mates is pulling off something great. It makes me smile and laugh.