Smoking! Top Drummers Who Smoked While Drumming in the Rock Era

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drums and guitars are one thing. I'm constantly surprised at the number of famous "wind" instrument players that smoke /smoked. For them their lungs are their livelihood and that affects them both on and off stage.

I had the chance to see THE Tonight Show Band when they did their farewell tour after Johnny called it quits. I got Ed and Doc's autographs on my music fraternity (which they are both members) paddle at that show. I caught Ed sneaking out the side door. I got to meet Doc backstage. He was smoking away on something....not American. Hearing him play I would have never guessed that he smoked.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
when in Rome, do as the Romanians do ....

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bun's at No. 3 for the level of difficulty of his great playing of high-BPM songs while wearing a white dress shirt.

I still have fond memories of Cheap Trick opening for Styx at the Rosemont Arena in Chicago, early 80's. I watched Bun set down one stick on his trap table (full of sticks), grab his smokes, light one up, and then grab the stick back, during a song. NEVER missed a beat. :)

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1637348148361.png

1637348221549.png

1637348236922.png

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the pre covid touring daze our little combo who had just as many cigarette smokers as non smokers had/have a "rule" of no smoking tobacco on stage....no exceptions.
However we have a little dub toon entitled Jumbo Spliff, which over the years became an anthem of sorts.
No we did not light one up ourselves, however the audience did and of course a few found their way onto the stage.....one gets pretty adept at keeping things going while having a draw....

On another note a well worn guitar was the one with the burn marks on the headstock....especially Strats....mostly blues folks.
Also the late great jazz drummer Claude Ranger was known to light up a smoke and keep it in his mouth while the whole thing burned down to the end....ashes intact.....obviously not a head banger.
bt

D

DBT

Used to play in the country bars on Whiskey Row in Prescott AZ in the 80's/90's...

Guitar player would light a cigarette between songs, take a puff then place the smoke carefully in an ashtray sitting on top of his amp (cigarette was still burning of course). Amp was right next to my drums. I played in a cloud of smoke.

I eventually had to have a talk with him.

OTOH, I would bum a smoke off of the band leader (Winston Reds) before the gig and sit at the bar with a cigarette and a coffee before we had to start playing. I would chat with the lovely bartender between long drags on my only cigarette of the day. Good times in the '80's!!!
Prescott AZ….. best Steak I ever had . That log cabin restaurant on the Main Street . Sorry , can’t think of the name .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, Neil was a big smoker. I was surprised (not sure why) to see Steve Ferone smoking in the TP documentary. But really, that was one smoking band. Every member smoked I believe.

To that, both my bands now have no smokers. Personally, never been a smoker. What broke me from ever wanting to smoke was both my parents were and taking long car trips was miserable.... So glad to see bars change.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drums and guitars are one thing. I'm constantly surprised at the number of famous "wind" instrument players that smoke /smoked. For them their lungs are their livelihood and that affects them both on and off stage.

I had the chance to see THE Tonight Show Band when they did their farewell tour after Johnny called it quits. I got Ed and Doc's autographs on my music fraternity (which they are both members) paddle at that show. I caught Ed sneaking out the side door. I got to meet Doc backstage. He was smoking away on something....not American. Hearing him play I would have never guessed that he smoked.
Back in the day ,one of the local dance bands (Joe Silvo's band) had a sax player that could take a drag on a cigarette,chug a beer and come back off a 4 bar break on time and on beat.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I remember seeing Ferrone smoking on Wildflowers tour. I think it was a joint but not sure.