Smoking! Top Drummers Who Smoked While Drumming in the Rock Era

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I smoked for a few years in my early 20s. I gave it up cold turkey and went seven years without a cigarette until my buddy's bachelor party last month. The first drag hit me like a Mack truck. The buzz was unreal. I had five or so over the course of the night and felt like complete garbage the following day. I'm not really interested in taking the habit back up, but I loved the ritual of it. That's really all I miss. And they sure look cool in photos.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought it was cool too. I think I told my story about wanting to be as cool as Larry Bunker and I mail-ordered Shermans. Problem was, and thank goodness, I could never stand trying to smoke while playing. Hot ashes would fall and put pin holes in the snare batter, eyes tearing up from smoke, etc. Trying to smoke and drive I'd set my pants on fire. The final draw, literally, was when I accidentally set off a firecracker I forgot was sitting in my car's ash tray while driving on the freeway. That made for one confusing exciting hasty exit....done!!

drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add Mitch Mitchell to the list of smokers.
I quit cold turkey both alcohol and cigarettes on the same day 8 years ago.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I quit cold turkey in 1987, and certainly don't regret it. I was smoking about 2 packs of red-label Winstons a day (just like Frank Zappa!).
I was able to light, smoke, and put-out an entire cigarette while playing! It just took some practice. That was back when we smoked in restaurants, airplanes, even in class at college! I don't miss those days, other than I was actually making a bit of money playing drums.