Snare as a kick drum?

rbrtvzqz

Reaction score
I’ve recently been thinking about putting together a tiny drum kit. At first I planned on using a 13” tom as the kick, but then I began to wonder if a 13” snare drum could do the work. Since it’s half as deep as the tom it’ll be much easier to carry around in a case with a 10” snare.

So I wondered if anyone on the forum has ever tried a snare as a kick drum as well as the pros and cons of using one.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Recently saw (don't recall where.....here or FB) someone that had the kick pedal and the beater just striking a mounted/supported microphone as the bass drum.

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of music you are playing and whether or not it needs to be mic’ed up for it to meet your needs. How do you plan to mount the snare bass drum? If it’s more for portability and ease of set up and tear down also consider the stability of the drum mount or cradle with your playing style. I tried the Dammar cradle for a 14” tom and was not satisfied with the results. DW and Side Kick Drums have cradles too depending on your intentions.
26979230-8151-488B-8818-6BAD2CC87A99.jpeg
08369C16-5D8E-4979-9C6F-DDEB2C0EEBC7.jpeg

rbrtvzqz

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of music you are playing and whether or not it needs to be mic’ed up for it to meet your needs. How do you plan to mount the snare bass drum? If it’s more for portability and ease of set up and tear down also consider the stability of the drum mount or cradle with your playing style. I tried the Dammar cradle for a 14” tom and was not satisfied with the results. DW and Side Kick Drums have cradles too depending on your intentions.View attachment 400082View attachment 400083
I’m planning to use a riser and add some floor tom leg brackets in order to use those spurs from floor tom conversion kits. I’m not gonna mic it, I just want to take it around with ease and play at random places with friends

Last edited:

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
I think the Trick Drums version is only available in the 16” and 18” but as long as the riser is stable, I’d say the riser and spurs route would work better than most cradles. Trick may make you a 14” model if you inquire with them. If you’re playing some light heel down almost all should work, if you’re playing heel up and heavy footed I would consider your options with the riser and the spurs as they need to be well anchored or the drum will be moving and vibrating all the place.
B602EC53-9881-4A6C-8DA8-72B256D195AF.jpeg
894F1A86-D541-4253-8770-D3EE1B8AF0D7.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think a traditional snare (up to 6.5" deep) would work but would lack bottom end. I'd tune it super loose to get as much low end as I could to get a deeper contrast with a snare tuned as snare, and would think 6.5" or larger would be better. I've used a regular 5" snare on its side as a "bass" but just with a mallet to test it out.

However, I thought I needed a bit more. I had a beater 70's 10x14 Slingy tom I had made into a marching snare. It was cool but I had no use for a big snare, so I decided to make a mini bass drum with parts I had laying around. I added retracting spurs, and the upper part of a vintage WFL snare stand (basket & pole) that goes thru the tom's set-o-matic mount. I secured that by installing a tom mount inside the drum to accept the snare stand pole (the tom has extra holes and is a beater). I can now tighten the tom mount to lock the stand in place. I also added a Gretsch diamond plate so I can mount a ride on it with a repro Gretsch L-arm cymbal holder. I finally added a riser. I had wood hoops laying around and mini claws too, so it has proper bass hoops. I have a smooth reso side tom head and an Emperor X dot tom head as the batter with some extra tape to fatten up the sound.

It is super compact and both the "bass" and most any snare will fit in a 14x14 bag. I have a separate DW lightweight HH stand, a small bass pedal, and a 19" flat ride, too. The HH's also fit in the drum bag. If you had a 16x16 bag, you may be able to fit ALL hardware inside and just need to carry the ride cymbal. It's super lightweight, super fun and fully works with a nice boomy sound considering its size & that it also holds a snare & ride. I have it in my home office just off my desk so I can just turn my seat and practice jazz comp patterns, but it's totally mobile.

I don't have a pic - sorry. The point is that a regular snare would work, but if you go a little bigger and get creative, you can have a mini bass that will also hold a snare and ride whereas just a snare means you still need other stands.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did this with a 5" snare, did a couple rehearsals with it and playing around at home. I mounted it by screwing corner brackets to a piece of wood moulding , and threading the brackets through the tuning screws RIMS style. On the reso side, I did the same thing, just lofted a little higher.

It sounded fine, but you'd get better results from a rack tom.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stuff looks interesting..

St. Louis

arrrgg Watch at Your own Risk:

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never seen that setup before. But he's not using a snare as a bass - he has a 6x22 bass. That's a big bass! He's using the snare as a snare but set up as a bass..........that's not what I thought OP was talking about....or was it?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
All the cool kids are doing it nowdays, except they just call em bop kits

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about a 14" X 22" snare drum?
Oh, never mind. That would be inconvenient to carry.
I know you're joking, but that one company that makes the steampunk-looking drums makes one, or similar I think.

Also, the foot-drummer looks like a Phil Hendrie fan.